Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Irregular menses & thyroid disorder

I am 28 years old married for 2 years and diagnosed with thyroid disorder when I was 18 yrs old.I am taking Thyrox 50 and as per my reports in Aug my thyroid level is normal.My periods are highly irregular from the very beginning and sometimes it didn't occur for more than 6 months. My doctor gave me Yamini and after that Situations become mush better.I have normal periods for 6-7 months and again it disappears for 2-3 months.
I have not got the periods for last 3 months I am not pregnant now but want to plan a baby.Can I ever become pregnant with thyroid disorder and irregular menses?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper miss_the_old_me
|

replied February 17th, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
You are not ovulating consistently so, yes, it will be more difficult to get pregnant.

There is a fairly wide range of "normal" when it comes to thyroid lab results. Maybe your thyroid meds are not optimized. TSH is the lab result most physicians look at to assess thyroid health. But the thyroid hormones useable by the body are free T4 and free T3. So it may be helpful to check those levels.

Pituitary problems (which can cause thyroid problems) can also mess with the menstrual cycle. A blood test for prolactin level is the first thing they would want to check.

Another thing to consider - Do you possibly have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)? Look up the symptoms and see if it fits you.
|

replied February 18th, 2014
Thanks a lot for the help. My symptoms are very much similar to PCOS kindly help how to test if I am suffering from PCOS or not?
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Bloodwork may show high testosterone and slightly elevated blood sugar. A tranvaginal ultrasound would allow the ovaries to be viewed to see if they have any cysts. However, not all women with PCOS have the "string of beads" ovarian cysts.

I have read that PCOS women who are overweight can oftentimes regulate the menstrual cycle (and restore ovulations) by losing 10% of their weight. Sticking with nutritionally dense foods and low glycemic index foods is good for both weight loss and the insulin resistance associated with PCOS.

One other thing - Is Thyrox 50 a prescription drug or a supplement? Prescription drugs are regulated so they have the same amount of active ingredient in each batch which may not be true for supplements. So hopefully, you are on a prescription drug if you are indeed hypothyroid.

Hope this helps!
|

Thanks you so much for your help. It means a lot to me.
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...