Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Iron smell from vagina

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello i have a bad iron smell from my vagina... it sometimes comes right after my period with a brown discharge but even after my period i still have the very strong smell it's, even worst during sex because it's a turn off for my partner i don't know what else to try i have used almost everything. Is there something you can recommend, I don't really get a discharge but when i have is brown and it's been going on for months now. I am concerned about the iron metal smell i have.. i already went to the doctor and didn't get any help all she said was that's part of my body cleansing... but i never had it before and if that's the case when is it going to stop or is there a lotion,perfume or soap or anything else...thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

Each person's unique body odor can be influenced by diet, gender, health, and medication.

The causes for unpleasant or foul body odor include bacterial overgrowth in the skin which cause sweat breakdown and production of unpleasant smell.

People who are obese, those who regularly eat spicy foods, as well as individuals with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, are more susceptible to having body odor.

The private part of every individuals would have slight different odor dependent on his or her personal hygiene and even based on body pheromones released.

Some medical conditions may change how much a person sweats, while others can alter how we sweat, subsequently changing the body odor. For example, hyperthyroidism or menopause can make people sweat much more, while liver disease, kidney disease, or diabetes can change the consistency of sweat so that the person smells differently

People who sweat too much - those with hyperhidrosis - may also be susceptible to body odor, however, often the salt level of their sweat is too high for the bacteria to break down - it depends where the excess sweating is occurring and which type of sweat glands are involved.

Some basic habits and lifestyle changes can help you manage the situation in most cases.

A warm shower daily (at least once) helps to kill bacteria and also open up the skin pores so you feel fresh. In hot weather, taking bath more often is recommended.

Wearing clothing made of natural fibres (wool, cotton or silk) or synthetic wickaway fabrics (recently developed) can help remove the sweat from your body and help provide comfort.

Avoiding spicy foods, curry, garlic, etc can also be very helpful. Red meat should also be avoided.

Antiperspirants (containing aluminium chloride) should be used.

If the above tips have not helped , then it would be recommended to consult your doctor and seek a proper medical opinion and specific treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.