Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Intravenous Blood letting. Nobody understands...

I blood let when ever i feel under pressure in anyway, its like ive totally forgotten how to cope with any situation. I know of ways to not do it but a small part of me hopes it goes wrong. Does anyone please know any one or has anyone drained themselves using needles straight into veins and on bad occasions arterys? Nobody understands
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper obfiscurum
|

replied September 10th, 2012
self harm
i was scouring the internet to see if anyone else self harms in this way.........i was amazed at how little info i found! i too struggle w/ self harm and doing this seems to be the only thing that helps let out the emotions. crimson tears.......... & you bleed w/o the scars of cutting (which i still struggle w/ too) To answer your questions bc i'm not suicidal and was wondering how deep arteries were so i didn't accidentally get one.......they are VERY deep and you would have to go WAY further than the vein. veins are at the surface and ur blood will clot, u would have to bleed profusely for several hours w/ vein bleeding. if u do happen to go deep enough for an artery, which would be prob. about as deep as the whole needle and even then the chances of hitting it are slim to none, the bleeding from an artery is fast & you would lose a lot of blood very quickly, so it would be imp. to do some research about all of this and i hope we both can find other ways to replace this to help heal our emotions. although i have a ton of other coping skills, i was never allowed to express any negative emotions, blood letting is the only way for them to come out, so if we can find a different way, like actually letting a therapist help us explore and express our emotions, then we can stop this hurtful coping skill! Smile best of luck to you, if you'd like to talk more, let me know.
|

replied September 10th, 2012
i do understand the ambivalance back n forth, and i'm so sorry that you hurt so much! i was beginning to think no one else out there did that w/ a needle in the vein or would understand, cutting is pretty well publisized now, but this is not, and there's no info out there about it. i hope what i said helped, there isn't much risk to losing too much blood, but the risk of infection is high, plz do be careful! hope to chat w/ u soon! Smile
|
Users who thank spiceygirl for this post: a1fail 

replied September 11th, 2012
yes its mad how little information is avaliable about this and therapists look at me gone out wen ive tried to discuss it. fortunatly i have a good friend who is able to supply me with clean needles, he dosnt agree with what it but wud rather what i used weas sterile than i re-used equipment. twice ive done an artery and both times were planned and both times i felt bloody awfuk and scared wen i saw it pump!. I can sometimes manage without it but as you say, it does ot scar and is so easy to do withouty tthe risk of people seeing. it does mark and i do strugle and have to change sites as the risk of collapsing a vein is high but it gives me such a buzz when i do it.
|

replied December 6th, 2014
I wish you could show me how to do it properly please?
|

replied September 13th, 2012
i'm glad ur still alive! i know it's frustrating to be addicted to this and ppl have such a hard time understanding it..........but drugs and alcohol they understand, that confuses me!!! like you, intellectually i know there are other things i can do, and i do them too, i have other coping skills, but nothing does the same thing!! my therapist doesn't want me to do this either, but said if i feel i have to, use a clean needle each time. my hand is all bruised bc i did collaspe a vein! UGH no hiding that, but ppl dont question bruises as much as cutting marks.
it amazed me when i found this on here, bc none of my therapist, or the nurses they talked to had ever heard of someone self harming this way!!! i knew someone else out there had to have the same thoughts i did!!! Smile
are you on FB or have email that we could chat or talk sometime?
take care & hope to talk again soon!
|

replied September 14th, 2012
i thought i was the only one aswel. as you say itsamazing how people can be fobbed off saying u hit your hand when the back of your hand is black or your wrist is yellow. its just that release of pressure that makes it soo good. a welfare officer asked me today if i felt ashamed or elated after i drain. ive never felt ashamed, i always get a buzz from doing it, how about yourself. yes i got email and on fb. ill add you?
|

replied January 6th, 2013
Finally finding others who blood let this way, i use needles and cannulate (i'm a ex medic!!), it would be good to chat
|

replied December 6th, 2014
Can you show me how to do it please? Iwill use needles and canniulate if I find out how. Thank you.
|

replied February 19th, 2015
Just inject needle into vein, and blood will begin to flow. I bloodlet too. Let's talk.
|

replied February 6th, 2017
Ehm, Hello... I wonder if anyone is still on this site.. Well if you still use this Mr. ex medic, I would be happy to tell you Im an ex nurse using a veneflon to drain my own blood... at home of course.. I just did it right now actually.. But Im a neat freak doing it sterile sterile sterile, and measure how much is coming out so I dont pass out. For some reason this gives me som sensation of kontroll. I can't control all the stuff around me, but the blood letting, seeing the chamber filling up knowing Im in the vein (or artery) and as soon open the gates blood comes out and the crushing pain is out, and in a way its a little bit left of me for a little while. But Im not suicidal, the blood letting is about the control and I love it! Im really glad I found this forum, if its still going.. But if its not Its nice just to have read and maybe written to myself about my great joy with blood letting..
|

replied March 13th, 2013
veins blood
Hi there,

I have done this on a few occasions too and have really struggled to find people with similar ideas. I like the feeling of control and find the whole process really relaxing and euphoric. I recently told my psych that I wanted to do it (didn't say that I already had) and she totally flipped out.

Would love to chat with someone else who does this.
|

replied May 20th, 2013
Hello!! it has still amazed me that there is no information about this kind of self mutilization!! my psych/therapist had never heard of anyone doing this either, and they were shocked by the size needle i was using (i have horses and am using those size needles!) i was in the hosp. back in oct. and they still to this day could not figure out what kind of inf. or why i was so sick............i think i know.......so word of caution until we all can find a way to better cope, plz be careful, accidental death is possible even w/ this type of self harm! it is very addictive and bc it doesn't scar like cutting, ppl don't question bruises n such. but this is so isolating, and i wanted to post that you are not alone, im sure there are many more of us out there too!!! Very Happy if anyone wants to chat/email me, i'd love to hear from you. it's so confusing to know even health care ppl don't know what to do to help me!!!! thx for the courage to share on here! it is less isolating to know others struggle too!
|

replied August 30th, 2013
Hello Spicegirl! I am looking for friends in this area to exchange our experience and decided to write to you.
I use 18G abocath, preferably Braun, but tried 16G and 14G too. With 14G the blood flow is impressing - 500 ml for 3 minutes! Amazing! Unfortunately I cannot use 14G regularly because it harms the vein and the vein collapses soon. By blood testing the nurses wonder why my cubital veins are collapsed....
|

replied May 28th, 2013
I do and I have had a haemoglobin of 42 recently which normal level is 120-150. I have almost died so many times. I too thought I was alone in this
|

replied August 26th, 2013
I agree it is hard to find other people that self injure this way, been looking about for a while thought I was the only one. I have been doing it for some time I cant say how long, from low blood loss to extreme letting but my methods are a little unstable with no shut off if you pass out though rare for me to. I have to say too that its a source of self injury that draws no attention to marks, partially why I do it as I have been "clean" from self injury for several years i.e cutting so no one is the wiser. It can be a dangerous thing to do depending on knowledge and methods my problem is often tempted to use it as suicide method as well as injury. Its one of those things that is rare so psych teams dont hear of it much, my team also went nuts knowing about it. Honestly I think it has its benefits in ways I find it controls aspects of my mental health issues including an "un curable" multi personality disorder. good to meet others along the same lines as me... finally Smile
|

replied August 26th, 2013
I agree it is hard to find other people that self injure this way, been looking about for a while thought I was the only one. I have been doing it for some time I cant say how long, from low blood loss to extreme letting but my methods are a little unstable with no shut off if you pass out though rare for me to. I have to say too that its a source of self injury that draws no attention to marks, partially why I do it as I have been "clean" from self injury for several years i.e cutting so no one is the wiser. It can be a dangerous thing to do depending on knowledge and methods my problem is often tempted to use it as suicide method as well as injury. Its one of those things that is rare so psych teams dont hear of it much, my team also went nuts knowing about it. Honestly I think it has its benefits in ways I find it controls aspects of my mental health issues including an "un curable" multi personality disorder. good to meet others along the same lines as me... finally Smile
|

replied September 29th, 2013
:)
I am a psych nurse on an acute psychiatric unit and this is more common than most people realise. My team and I have lots of experience with patients who use bloodletting as a means of releasing otherwise stored up emotions and having an element of control in their otherwise very unstable life.
Of course, due to my profession it is something I strongly advise against especially if the blood levels are allowed to drop too low. Not only does this decrease the amount of oxygen circulating around your body, but iron levels can become dangerously low faster and easier than people realise.
Having said that, I respect and understand why people use this technique. I just urge you all to use sterile utensils and not let the bloodletting process go too far. I recognise that other psych teams may be more inexperienced, but this is becoming much more common. Please help us understand you, the more we can be educated the better we can be in assisting you through this and onto a better method of expressing your emotions. With this, I hope we can work together, and not against each other to improve everyones coping mechanisms and increase self worth and respect.

Please stay safe!!

Kind regards to you all Smile
|

replied March 12th, 2014
I bloodlet too. I love it. I dream of do it in public, so other people see me. I'd like to talk with someone.
|

replied March 23rd, 2014
blood letting
The blood letting cleans the body. You can use supplements (iron with folic acid and B12) if you feel weakness after blood letting. It helps by high blood pressure or very high hemoglobin too. The very high hemoglobin levels are dangerous! They can induce blood cloths and trombosis.
|

replied October 15th, 2014
I have been wanting to do this for health reasons. Emotional and physical. I have terrible depression. I would really appreciate anyone helping me learn how to do this correctly and where to get the proper medical supplies. Where can I get medical supplies cheap?
|

replied November 28th, 2015
Blood letting is very Dangerous, I have always used cannula bought of the internet and all ways use a clean one. I don't advice trying to let from an artery as it is very dangerous and once you hit an artery it would be close to if not impossible to stop bleeding out! I have often lost blood in the space of a few hours using a cannula in my arm or leg. and have needed a lot of blood transfusions. The worst My health bacame was when my levels of haemoglobin were 3.1 " I was told I should have had a heart attack and that it was a mirracle I walked to the hospital. I have recently bloodlet because things are getting on top of me my like family and friends constantly wanting money for thi and that. And the worrying of my nephew who recently had an operation on his scull, sorry i'm going on and on! point is there was a massive gap in my Blood letting and now that I have done it again i lost around 2 and half pints. (i feel its gonna be really easy to fall back in to the ways again.

"ComplexityUnvield" I am going to give you the information because i would prefer that you do it safely.

So you can buy Cannula's on amazon/ebay. for really good prices i bought 50 of 20g(Pink Cannula) for 18.95

you can also buy torneqeuts from the same site for 3.50 -15 pounds and you would need alcohol wipes to clean the area before introducing the needle to the vein. please be safe and take care of your self from Anthony
|

replied December 19th, 2017
blood letting
Hello Anthony!
20G is thin abbocath for blood letting. The blood drive nurses use 16G needles. It means grey abbocath respectively. The 16G is good solution for blood drive but I tried with 14G - orange. It is thick, but gives bigger blood stream, and the blood lettig process goes rapidly, and the clogging of the catheter is not possible...
|

replied May 26th, 2016
I can't begin to say how happy I am not alone in this. I've been bleeding via veins for quite some time, I use a rather large 22g veterinary needle run into a large syringe. Sometimes I keep the blood for a day or two in the coldest part of the fridge, other times I use it in some of my cooking, yes I cook red meat with a bit of my own blood. I know its not normal but I don't care. The only part that upsets me is my family and their lack of understanding. I've been doing this for over a decade so I'm very adept at it, always using freash clean needles and spetic technique from start to finish. But they don't understand, I DO understand not wanting needles hidden in the house or garbage, I understand it makes me look like an IV drug user even though I have offered to go for a drug test or any type immediately after they discover my marks and needles. I know what I'm doing isnt healthy but its not like I'm shooting heroin into me, I'm taking my own blood out of me and its my body and my blood to do with as I see fit. However I won't lose her over it. Even she didn't like it or understand it, I just wish she could learn to accept it
|

replied February 6th, 2017
My sister and brother used to know about my blood letting, long story short they found me and got ambulanced away.. I was the worst thing ever being in hospital trying to explain it to the ER people, Psychiatrists, psychologists etc etc etc. Well I can see why your family is worrying. but wouldn't they worry about any of siblings with a self harming behaviour? I guess with draing blood out of the body it makes it dangerous. So you need to be on top of it, knowing how much you can lose, how often can you drain yourself, get to know your body while draining. But I can see your frustration, it is really none of others peoples business what you choose to do with your own blood. I paint with mine.. But how did this start to begin with? Oh and after my sister and brother found out I told them I had stopped after the hospital. They cured me! But really they did not. It helps me cope and using it in my art is like therapy. So now Im doing it in secret.. Much better. to me its very private and I dont want the looks, the talks etc.. I just want to deal in my own way.
|

replied March 9th, 2017
Spice girl we havnt spoke in ages. How are you? I've been back at it again today x
|

replied March 2nd, 2018
Anyone else from this thread still around to chat?

Have been bloodletting for a few weeks now. It terrifies me and calms me in equal measures, and seems so addictive. I am so scared of myself Sad
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....