Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Intraoperative ultrasound Breast Surgeon

I have been diagnosed with a cluster of microcalcification 3cm in size in my left breast. I have elected for a surgical biopsy. I would like to avoid the preoperative wire localization . I have seen research that was done on " Intraoperative Ultrasound Guided Excision of Non palpable breast Lesions". (No preoperative needles or wires in the breast!) Can anyone tell me if this procedure is being done anywhere? I live in Indiana, but will travel.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2008
Supporter
Hi
Hi may I ask why it is you want to avoid the preop wire localization? I under went this very procedure for a biopsy. I am glad I did because the next step, when I had to have a lumpectomy, there was a clip already in the exact location, showing the surgeon exactly where to disect. I ended up having to have a mastectomy of the left breast. Just curious as to why you would not elect to have this procedure. There is no pain involved. Uncomfortable some, but nothing more than like a dentist office. Have never heard of this other procedure, btu if thats what you want, I hope you find it. Please feel free to PM if you wish.
|

replied November 2nd, 2008
Yes I'm scared
Yes I have been told that it would be very uncomfortable because I have microcalcifications which can hardly be seen on film. So many attempts may have to be made to locate them. So I would be a pin cushion. I would like to hear about your experience though, did you have calcifications or a lump?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2008
Supporter
Hi
Last year mammograms were passed off as I had a "stopped up milk gland" DUH....this year in February, I had a new more thorough Doctor. We agreed to do a sonogram, and also a needle core biopsy, guided by sonogram. A lump was NEVER felt nor seen. The mammogram found this area and showed it as a dark mass "calcification". It was about the size of yours, maybe a little larger. I am glad I opted for the sonogram guided needle core biop and preop wire. My breast are dense and cloudy and it would have been like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'd say look and find a super qualified breast care physican. One who would have to use you as a pin cushion. Todays technology makes it easier to find them. The area is deadened just like the kind the dentist use to numb you. The sonogram will guide the physican to the area of the suspected cluster. The weird part of mine was it was looked at by 4 pathologist here at both local hopsitals, then was sent off to Vanderbuilt (the Mother of pathology) and the calcification was only dubbed as precancerous, but COULD NOT identified................go figure! Its outta there! I'll be happy to answer any question you have! PM me.....1954? I am 1957!
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....