User Profile
My question is what is my prognosis with this condition? I do realize that each case of strabismus is very unique with treatment. I am wanting to have surgery to correct this. Will surgery cure my condition, or will I have it for the rest of my life, even after surgery?

Will I not have an eye turn at all after surgery (as in when I am tired)? Is the goal of surgery to eliminate all deviation?

My eyes will be straight and aligned in all gazes and distances?

What defines successful surgery? Is it likely that one surgery do it for the rest of my life? Will the surgery likely eliminate the double vision and headaches? Does my age have any impact on the outcome of this surgery?

I am just looking to get plenty of information on my condition. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. I seems like the condition is so common that there must be a cure for it.

Thank you kindly.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2009
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A5062
Diagnosis that has been suggested: Intermittent Exotropia of my left eye. About 25 prism diopters at far and near.
Current medical status: My eyes are completely healthy aside from the misalignment that comes and goes. I have 20/20 vision in both eyes. I have had this condition since age 3 or 4. I get double vision in certain gazes, mainly when I look to the left. When I read my eye will suppress and then I will get headaches. I do have binocular vision right now.
Current medical treatment: I have done simple convergence eye exercises my whole life and sometimes I will patch my eye, such as when I read. I have seen a few ophthalmologists and they seem optimistic about my condition. That surgery can fix this.

I'm sorry that I can't help you but this question needs an expert’s opinion from an ophthalmologist. I'd suggest that you schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.