This has been happening for about 3 years now. 99% of the time, I'm fine, but occasionally, out of the blue, this weird tense, burning, aching pain starts on the right side of my head. It comes for about 2-5 seconds, then goes straight away. Then about a minute later, it hurts again for a few seconds. It does this for a while, like maybe 30 minutes to an hour (usually), then goes, sometimes for ages, like months and months, and sometimes for just a couple of hours before it's back, but it always eventually goes away completely for ages.

No other symptoms are present, just this weird pain. It's hard to describe the pain, it isn't sharp or stabbing or throbbing, and it isn't dull. The best way to describe it is "burning". It's very annoying and feels horrible.

I've been suffering from migraines for years, but this sensation is nothing like a migraine so I have kind of ruled that out. I am quite an anxious person, so maybe that could be it? It does feel kind of tense around my right temple, but I didn't think tension headaches felt like this.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. This is manifestation of migraine and if it is recurrent you need prophylaxis . There are many options. Consult your neurologist and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.