Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Interesting efffect of Tramadol in schizophrenia

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
My 28 year old close relative was diagnosed with schizophrenia approximately two years ago. Negative symptoms predominate in his case. He has little insight in his condition although, as I can see, he is quite bothered by voices. He was prescribed in the past half a dozen of medications including risperidone, clozapine etc. Currently he takes risperidone when he feels like it (he tried and stopped others because of side effects) and also takes small dose of amitriptylline almost daily.

As I understand he just got used to hallucinations. Sometimes, when things get worse he starts taking his medications regularly, when things get better he may stop taking medication altogether. It is impossible to persuade him to see psychiatrist again.

Recently he sustained trauma and was given Tramadol for pain relief. Interestingly, the following morning he commented that after taking the tramadol all hallucinations have gone and he had very restful sleep at night. I looked it up and it appears that tramadol is very similar to antidepressant venlafaxine. What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth trying venlafaxine for his symptom control? I have a feeling he may agree to take it regularly if it provides good symptom control.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LostLover
|

replied August 12th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi, tramadol is basically a pain med for lower back and I doubt it will do anything for mental problems (actually as a pain med, doesn't do much there either)
More likely is he is just having a better day but it won't hurt to stay on the Tramadol.

I doubt this; venlafaxine will matter as it seems he has already been on several and stronger medication as this is used for milder problems LIKE WHEN SSRIs don't work, this is tried, it is extremely common as a Rx and Dr. surely would have considered it. it is SNRI
ask him if he ever had it. it has a great success record but not for schizophrenia and when tried with others it has had problems such as;

Venlafaxine is not approved for the treatment of depressive phases of bipolar disorder; this has some potential danger as venlafaxine can induce mania, mixed states, rapid cycling and/or psychosis in some bipolar patients, particularly if they are not also being treated with a mood stabilizer. THIS IS THE TYPE OF COMPLICATION

good luck
|

replied November 8th, 2011
Tramadol effects
My girlfried has had the same effect when taking tramadol. Her mood/behavior becomes more level/normal and the mood-swings go away and is plesant to be with and then when comes off of it in the next day is back to the mood-swings and paranoid behaviors she deals with. I love her but one heck of a rollercoaster.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
i have noticed the same with my mum i am going to see her phyciatrist to see what is available which is similar to tramadol. my mum wen she gets ill doesnt realise she is or i dunno, i kind of keep an eye on her.
has your gf been able to get repeat prescriptions for the trams or has she found somthing else.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
nathan..
i am interested in this my mum has suffered with schizophrenia since being a teenager she is now 55.
she has had a range of different meds over the years but in my opinion the clopixal? she had as an injection worked best but she stopped them because of her hips and now is on tablets which as her son i think hasnt really helped. i think she is on risperdone or rispiredil? now.
anyways she recently got prescribed zydol tramadol and its the best i've seen her in mood and wanting to go out and do things.It made me happy seing her not down and deppressed and argumentative hearing voices and peolple talking about her outside.
Now she is not taking the tramadol i have noticed very quickly her mood has gone back to depressed and all the other things i mentioned.
anyone had a similar experience or have any thoughts on this ??
i am actually worried about her now and dunno wot to do !
|

replied May 1st, 2014
I have Narcolepsy. They use SSRI Effexor the one u are talking about for Cataplexy and Hypnagogic hallucinations. I get serotonin syndrome with any SSRI. So for 20 years I have had to deal with these symptoms of Narcolepsy without MEDS. I have been prescribed Tramadol for pain. Guess what happen ? I slowly realised I had no Hallucinations and Cataplexy not so bad.
|

replied May 1st, 2014
I have Narcolepsy. They use SSRI Effexor the one u are talking about for Cataplexy and Hypnagogic hallucinations. I get serotonin syndrome with any SSRI. So for 20 years I have had to deal with these symptoms of Narcolepsy without MEDS. I have been prescribed Tramadol for pain. Guess what happen ? I slowly realised I had no Hallucinations and Cataplexy not so bad.
|