Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Insomnia, Hallucinations, Fear. flexarill?

I'm 27 years old and was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 5 years ago. I take Lithium, for two years now, and haven't had a real manic episode since I was started on Lithium.

On Monday I was prescribed Flexeril, a muscle relaxer, to help with pain and difficulty opening my mouth; I dislocated my jaw about 3 weeks ago, hence the pain. It was for 10mg twice a day and the doctor said that it would help me sleep, too. I was excited because I've always had to lie in bed for 2 or 3 hours before I could finally fall asleep.

I actually had more trouble sleeping than usual, every night that I took the Flexeril. Thursday night is when the fun began.

I took my Flexeril along with my normal dose of Lithium. Yes, I've checked, there are no drug interactions between these two. About half an hour after taking my meds I had a horrible panic attack, but now i'm not sure it was a panic attack. There was chest pain, racing pulse, fear, etc. It felt like a panic attack, I get them sometimes, so I took 1mg Klonopin and a few minutes later the attack was over. The problem was that I was HALLUCINATING and still could not sleep.

I've never hallucinated before. But Thursday night I was seeing evil faces in the bushes, saw trees walking toward me like in Lord of the Rings, saw stationary objects appear to move toward or away from me, and heard music. It lasted all night and went away on its own around 8 or 9 am Friday.

The same thing happened Friday night, starting around 11 pm. Unable to sleep, hallucinations, no panic attack though. Again it ended around 8 or 9 in the morning.

And now it's happening again. It started about half an hour ago (11:30 PM Eastern).

I didn't sleep at all Thursday or Friday nights, or during the day. I was able to get maybe 2 hours of sleep early this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I won't get any sleep tonight either.

This isn't a manic episode, it doesn't even remotely fit the symptoms of anything related to Bipolar Disorder. I assumed it was caused by the Flexeril so I stopped taking it after Thursday night but it's continued so I have to assume it's not related to the flexeril. I'm not psychotic or delusional because even though I'm hallucinating I KNOW I'm hallucinating, I know that what I'm seeing and hearing can't possibly be real.

I've concluded that the hallucinations aren't caused by lack of sleep because they started at the same time as the insomnia, before I had gone without sleep for an extended period of time.

So does anyone know of something that would cause insomnia and hallucinations without losing touch with reality? At first I thought maybe it was Lithium toxicity but the symptoms don't fit and I had my levels checked two months ago and they were normal.

I'm pretty worried. I could disregard one night maybe two but now this is night three and I'm really concerned. I have a psychiatrist's appointment on Tuesday that was already scheduled and I want to try and wait until I see him but I'm not sure if that's a good idea...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You would need antipsychotic like risperidone to overcome these feelings.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.