Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Insomnia anyone have a good remedy?

Does anyone have a good remedy that's helps you sleep that is not addictive?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mershon
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2012
YES! Seroquel and coffee combined. three 100 ml tablet and an option of one later for a good nights sleep. seroquel is prescribed by a doctor. just ask! and let me know how you get on
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Alteril works great ----Google it....I got some and I take it an hour before I go to sleep.I was taking over the counter stuff thats habit forming but Alteril isnt its natural stuff and it works!
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2012
Hi Mershon, Are you looking for a cure for long-term insomnia or is this a short-term problem caused by stress or something similar?
For long term better sleep try the following:
stick (as much as you can) to a relaxing evening routine.
make your bedroom a sanctuary for sleep and relaxation - no TV, computers, exercise kit etc as all these are waking activities.
use a sleep mask and ear plugs to block out anything that might disturb your sleep.
consider yoga or meditation to help calm your mind.
get enough exercise (but not too much).
In the short term:
Keep a journal if you're having a stressful time and address the issues that are causing the problem.
try herbal remedies
try prescription remedies and discuss the problem with your medical professional.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
sleep and waking up
Yes and also no

I agree with all the logs about sleep.

But it is said in the scriptures "we know not the hour" in other words having got off to sleep sometimes in can often be that I'll wake up and then what?

The mind has begun to process at a deep level this I turn to my advantage( & God's) a weak cup of tea, reflect, keeping a journal ( noting any dreams) and then settle down to some serious "sitting" or meditation.

The when I go back to bed sleep is much sounder , what was unconscious has now been brought into consciousness and offered to God or the higher Self.

On a biochemical level sleep patterns are governed by the lower limbic , hippocampus centres of the brain and melatonin levels, serotonin levels and other sleep inducing hormones and chemicals that are part of the circadian down cycle , this is instinctive in fact higher functions are relegated to dreaming and suspended almost all together in deep sleep , the fact that people have problems in this area is paradoxically a good sign shows you are alive , sensitive and care !

Valerian works well for me , but anything that slows brain rhythms down helps , magnet therapy, inducing slower rhythms via Yoga practice , not eating too much protein in evening etc.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Re: Insomnia anyone have a good remedy?
You might find what you're looking for here:

In my opinion falling asleep and staying asleep is purely a function of the proper hormones, neurotransmitters, ect. I've found that for me there is a difference between being tired and being sleepy. Whether I've been working hard or working out, I may be tired. But my problem is I'm almost never sleepy. And when I'm sleepy, when I feel my eyes wanting to close, then I can get to sleep very rapidly. But I rarely feel that way. I can go from 24 to 48 hours without sleep, I'm reasonably functional at 48 hours, but my eyes get so blurry that it's hard for me to read or even see my monitor well. Even after 48 hours without sleep, blurry vision and all, I can lie down on my commercially advertised number bed (extremely comfortable), close my eyes, and toss and turn for hours, eventually,if I'm lucky, drift in and out of a light sleep for hours, and awake feeling like what in the British Isles they call shite. I hope I didn't offend you.

Several years ago my doctor prescribed a sleeping pill with the generic name of Zalepelon, or something similar to that. The commercial name is Sonata. He allowed me to take it for 90 days, then cut me off. Those 90 days were the best. It put me to sleep within five or 10 minutes, let me remain asleep for about five or six hours, and there was absolutely no hangover whatsoever. And I was never physically dependent upon it because that is organically impossible using that medication. It's not, strictly speaking, a sedative like most other sleeping pills because it achieves its effect by an entirely different mechanism than any other sleeping pill.

Sonata is a kind of neurotransmitter supplement and for me there was no dependency whatsoever. Even so, my doctor cut it off. I told him that it was a miracle which is why he extended its use to 90 days. But all good things come to an end. I understood his point of view and I reverted back to my good old insomnia days.

Since Sonata worked so very well and consistently well, in that 90 day period of time I learned in a very visceral way that sleep has very little to do with anxiety, nervousness, or any of a number of psychological issues. For me sleep is chemical. I know that with the certainty that I never understood before.

Until you achieve the right balance of neurotransmitters, hormones, ect and all the other good stuff you need (in your brain), your sleep will not be as good as it could be. And you'll probably have a problem for the foreseeable future, or until medicine truly understands the mechanism of sleep and its relationship to the chemicals in your brain, and can prescribe exactly what you as a unique human being need for good sleep. Sonata was wonderful for me. But I suspect that the precise prescription for individuals is reasonably far into the future -- however I believe that it will happen.

Good luck, you're not alone -- there are millions of us around the world, and I think that insomnia is just the expression of a random genetic condition that our particular DNA and genes could cause, like multiple sclerosis, cancer, or -- insomnia. But that's just my opinion.

BTW there was an Italian study that recommended the use of melatonin, zinc, and calcium/magnesium to improve sleep. The authors claimed that it helped 42% of the subjects tested fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I gave it a try. It did nothing for me. Zip.
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Yes and well no, anxiety direclty affects the levels of neuro-transmitters ie cortical hormones affect the limbic area and the balance of sleep inducing hormones so for me divorcing emotional arousal from sleep doesn't work.

But yes on a mechanical level these hormones melatonin and seratonin etc and various others govern the circadian cyles and induce sleep.

Currently I am trying small dose of tamezepan with valerian

DEEPER ISSUES for consideration : Idea

I do feel however that SLEEP is the big thing for regeneration and health.

Staying well and emotionaly having the resources to cope with the next day, that I need to focus on this , part of my problem is late night internet watching, cerebral stimulation and so on.

I think that sleep deprivation is part of some destructive script message that induces me to do daft things ie poor sleep equals a dysfunctional attempt to get my needs met by the victim position, oh I can't cope help me etc, a need for physical intimacy , touch resssurance etc even Reichian orgasmic tension build up- release, that underlies the neural /biochemical pattern.

I used to find with a partner this didn't happen, even when we were apart for a few days , they say in deep sleep, that it is the unconsciousness of Union with God , it is the deep unconscious or subconscious desire to be One with the infinite again, that this is why it is so refereshing and necessary, Einstein slept between 8 and 10 hours a night and Margaret Thatcher boasted of sleeping abut 4 , I think that says it all for me!

Sleep well and rise like an eagle...

God Bless
|
Quick Reply