Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Pharmaceuticals Forum

Insomnia and Pain Management in Patient With Disparate Disorders

User Profile
Hello Smile,

My mother is a 52 year old woman on the following medications:

1) Prednisone & Hydroxychloroquine--which she takes to treat Lupus.
2) Simvastatin & Ezetimibe--which she takes to treat Dyslipidemia.
3) Bromhexine & Furosemide--which she to manage her Pulmonary Edema.
4) Warfarin & Acenocoumarol--which she takes to treat Thrombosis.
5) Bisoprolol--which she takes for Hypertension and the prevention of CHF.
6) Bromocriptine, Metformin & Glibenclamide--which she takes for the management of Diabetes - type 2.
7) Isosorbide Dinitrate, Carvedilol, Captopril & Acetylsalicylic Acid--which she takes to prevent congestive heart failure and to treat Angina Pectoris.

In addition to the preceding diseases, she also suffers from Anemia, Thrombocytopenia. and has had Postherpetic Neuralgia and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma--for which she had forgone surgery, and was treated with radiation and ABVD chemotherapy. She had also been through a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft 6 months ago. Moreover, She suffers from Isthmic Spondylolisthesis & Arthralgia--and frequently from Cephalalgia and residual neuropathic pain. She also suffers from chronic insomnia, which is aggravated by the pain she feels in her joints and back, as well as the tension headaches she usually has.

My first question is: what sleep medication can she use safely, knowing the disorders from which she suffers, and the medications she is on? Are Benzodiazepines safe for her to use every once in a while? If so, which one would you recommend? Are Nonbenzodiazepines safe for her to use on a daily basis?

My second question is: which medication can she take to manage the pain she suffers on a daily basis (other than acetaminophen)? are there any potent opiods she can use intermittently--when the pain is severe, that would not effect her heart or interfere with her renal function? would all NSAIDs increase the risk of a heart attack or worsen her Thrombocytopenia?

To sum up, which medications can she safely use for the daily management of chronic pain and insomnia, and which can she safely use intermittently for the management of acute pain and insomnia? Finally, are there any health supplements you would recommend to further treat her existing conditions and decrease any medical risks she faces in the future? I would very much appreciate all prompt feedback from medical doctors and health professionals. Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile simrankim
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2012
Experienced User
You should have to take her to the doctor. Do not try any medication without prescription.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Experienced User
I agree. Medications and pills can counteract and interact with others and have a negative effect. I'm sorry for her for being on all of those medications. I hope she gets better.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Relief from insomnia by 'Focusing on breathing'
Your mother can try ‘Focusing on breathing’ technique to get relief from insomnia. This technique reduces the flow of thoughts, calms the mind and relaxes the muscles, inducing quality sleep. It works amazingly with no side effects at all. You may have to help her initially in practicing the technique. The following mode of this technique can be tried when lying in the bed and needing to sleep.

‘Triple segment mode’: Every finger has 2 cross lines, dividing it into 3 parts. We call them segments. Place the tip of the thumb at the top segment of the little finger and breathe three times. Move the thumb to the middle segment and breathe three times. Move to the bottom segment and breathe three times. Repeat these steps at the next 3 fingers. At the thumb, place the tip of the index finger on its segments and follow the same steps. Then switch to the other hand and repeat the process all over. Continue to practice, switching the hands. If you realize that you lost track of the breathing, start immediately from the top segment of the little finger of any hand.

When you wake up in the morning, you will be surprised how you slept so well last night!

We can use this technique anywhere and anytime, to avert potential stress or dissolve built up stress!
|