Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Inoperable brain hemorrhage due to leukemia???

I just found out my 64 y/o uncle just learned he has leukemia then days later had a stroke and the docs say theres a bleed they cant try and stop because he would probably never survive surgery. I am finding it very hard to find specific information about this. Does anyone know anything about this or have any links to good sites for info about this? I dont really have any more info as my mom just got word from my aunt but she didnt get that much details because she just had surgery and they didnt even really wanna tell her. thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2010
Unfortunately, since I can neither examine your uncle nor review his medical records and x-rays, I'm afraid that I cannot offer you any specific advice. However, if a qualified neurosurgeon has determined that surgery is either not safe or is unwise, then it would seem unlikely that surgery is an option for him.

I hope that something can be done to help your uncle.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
I have the same question... My brother in law was diagnosed with CML just 2 weeks ago. Everything went well and my sister was going to take him home under oral medication (probably imatinib) when she noticed that something was wrong with him. The doctors took him back for some other tests and they found 4 hematoma on his brain (side effect of the medication he was given for CML). They put him on some other medication and probably reduced the one for CML. This happened two days ago and the doctors said that if he survives 48 hours, it might be a chance for him. He survived, thank God, but today's tomography showed no improvement. He responds to doctors' stimuli and my sister's questions, and he seems to understand everything, but the hematoma did not go back at all. It is true that they did not grow bigger either, thank God. He does not sleep and he is agitated most of the time.
Please help with an answer, as we do not know what to think any more... he is only 40 years old and has a 3 years old daughter and a 5 months old baby boy... we just keep asking God to give them their father back.
Thank you,

Olly
|

replied August 9th, 2011
Sadly my uncle died within a few weeks of my post. I am sorry to heat about your situation and i hope everything turned out well for your brother in law and he's on the road to recovery.
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2012
low ptt
My friend passed away in 2010 after a 7 month battle with ALL. His platelet count was extremely low and he bleed into his brain. he had drafted an advance directive earlier, so the docs couldn't do surgery.
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
I'm very sorry to hear about this !
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2012
Thank you, dear ziesha001
|
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.