Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

injury worse after deep tissue massage

User Profile
I hurt my back but really felt it was healing after 5 weeks so went to see physcio who said I needed a deep tissue massage she pressed on my spine alot and the muscles along side it my lower back is injured but she worked on al my back it was quite painful in some areas I expected to be sore and alittle bruised for few days but most of my back since the massage has gone into spasms and gone tight I am quite upset because the massage was a week ago and my back is still quite tight and getting horribil spasms my doctor thinks I have a senstive back and she pressed to deep and has affected the nerves in my back I am not using ice again to try help the muscle spasms is there anything esle I can do???I cant stretch as it makes the spasms worse I can still walk but movement does make them flare up to but I am trying to be active so I will stiffen up again any advice be great can a deep tissue massage agravate a injury???I wish I left it now as it really felt so much better my doctor has prescribed me muscle relaxers and co codomol cause its so painful
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for contacting EHF.For relieving muscle spasms,you may start up with muscle relaxants. You may need strong muscle relaxants like tizanidine. Typically for some muscle spasms, orphanedrine is used. Baclofen and diazepam are used for very strong muscle spasms. However almost all muscle relaxants are sedatives, you need to take them about 3 hours before sleep. Also please do walk and some mild exercise if you can manage since just lying down would only exacerbate your problem. The muscle spasms can be due to very deep massage or due to the original pain that you had developing into spasm. Its hard to tell.
Dr. Khan

|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2014
Hi thank you for replying to me I have been back to my doctor and he examined my back and said I have alot of middle back stiffness which was not there prior to the massage only lower back pain and stiffness also there morning pain you get with injury was gone before the massage and I was off pain meds and running up and down the stairs before visting a private physcio my doctor is shocked that its been nearly 2 weeks and the stiffness from the massage has not got any better I never lie down only when I go to bed and walk twice a day every day and have done since the injury and do continue to do so He gave me muscle relaxers and told me to come back in 2 weeks if no better and he will have to look into it and asked me the name of the physcio clinic and noted it down what I do not understand is that i was healing so well and off pain meds so why am I now all stiffned up again??and in pain again and why is my midd back gone stiff to as that was ok before she pressed deeply on it Its so upsetting when you put your trust in someones hands to help you and pay alot of money and they actually make your injury much much worse I had no pain in middle of my back so why now is it all stiff and going into spasms??just do not get it and very sad and upset
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2014
Hello shafi thank you for getting back to me I have been back to see my doctor again and he has said my back is very stiff especially in the middle of it he did say this was not there before when you first injured your lower back how hard did she press on your spine muscles I told him very deep and hard it was incredibly painful so he gave me some muscle relaxers and asked me to come back in 2 weeks if no better I never lie down i walk twice a day every day even when its hurting I do I was healing so well running up and down stairs and off pain meds before the physcio my doctor says this should not of happened and its been irriatated by the massage and she has just really made my injury much worse I only had lower back pain slighty when I went to see her now its agony again and ontop of it I have midd back stiffness and spasms what do you think??Its nearly two weeks since the massage and its no better I really am very sad the morning pain is back to in the lower back that had gone away weeks ago before the massage
|

replied October 14th, 2014
I am a licensed massage therapist and I am sorry that you have had such a bad experience. I cannot speak about the therapist that you went to see as I do not know them and I was not there, however I can say that "yes" it is possible that they aggravated your injury IF your body was inflamed at that time or if you are one of those people who's spinal cord objects to being manipulated (like mine).I can also say that I would have treated your case a bit differently.A "deep tissue" massage is NOT supposed to be painful, with the exception of a few instances when particular areas are treated and even then only some discomfort for no more than 24 hours.I truely believe that a knowledgeable massage therapist could be of benefit to you. Question: When are your spasms the worst?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2014
hi
KDBROOK my middle back has gone very tight since the pressing hard up and down my spine it was very painful my doctor is really concerned because I had a lower back injury now the spasms are very tight and on and off every day around mostly my middle back he is asking if I can be sent for a MRI and see a muscle skeltetor doctor as the deep tissue massage was 4 weeks ago nearly now and I am no better its so tight and uncomfatable never has spasms like this in my life when i injured my lower back it was painful but it was healing so well I am devastated to say the least and the clinic do not care that they have aggravated my back very badly my doctor said the only thing I should of had is a gentle massage my back is so tight I am at a loss what to do I do not want to stretch it as this aggravates the spasms since the massage heat helps I find but cannot sit in shower bath all day and night
|

replied January 22nd, 2016
Nataska73,

What was the resolution to this problem? Was it cured or has it become chronic? I am experiencing the same issue in my upper back after a deep tissue massage. It has been 8 days since then I am I still feeling pains that I never felt before the massage.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.