Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

injury to my tailbone. a giant lump appeared and burst?

User Profile
I recently fell down the stairs and had a really bad injury to my tailbone the pain was severe for several days, three days ago a giant lump appeared and today it has burst and is leaking blood and pus. It looks horrific and I had to include pictures as the location is not visible to me and would probably make it easier to offer information for me. I am just so confused as I expected to have bruising more than a giant hole in my back! uttle.jpg/
3 days ago aking.jpg/

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2012
Skin Answer A30737

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. It can be infected hair follicles or boils. A Boil is caused by an infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle. Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. You should consult a doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics/anti-inflammatories to take care of the same.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.