Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Inhalers are not effective

Usually once or twice a year I have issues with my asthma. Usually I will have issues for a week maybe two. Lots of phlegm and shortness of breath. But this year it has been different. The asthma symptoms have not subsided even after taking two puffs of my pro air. It feels as though I have a constant tightness in my chest and shortness of breath. The only time its not bad is when I lay down and sleep. My allergist put me on symbicort the higher dose. I feel like this medicine actually made me feel worst rather than better so I stopped taking it. I have no cough. Actually the only time I felt like I had to cough was directly after taking the symbicort. I am at the point now where I just dont know what to do because I am going day by day having this shortness of breath and chest tightness. Anyone have any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

As per the history, you have Asthma, and have been on Symbicort, which has controlled your symptoms effectively.

But with Asthma, with seasonal changes, the condition can have exacerbations , when the medication you are on, no longer can control the symptoms.

In such cases, to achieve effective control, it would be recommended to consult your doctor, who can examine you and prescribe additional medications (most likely -Systemic Steroids) which can control your symptoms. In case of possible infections, prescription of antibiotics would also be needed.

I hope this helps.

|

replied June 10th, 2014
I appreciate the response. The main issue I have now is that Every time I use a steroid inhaler I end up having worsening asthma symptoms. Not sure if this is a common thing. My allergist just put me on singulair so I am curious to see if this would help.
|

replied March 6th, 2015
ProAir does not work for everyone. You need a stronger inhaler that has the same chemical makeup and better delivery mechanisms. Many people find that Ventolin is better over proair and if that does not work than you probably need to be on more than one inhaler. You should only take 1 to 2 puffs of the inhaler a day for it to work, if you are taking more than that at a time it can lead to serious heart problems including but not limited to heart attack and or death. Have your doctor petion for the Ventolin on those grounds and also Ventolin has a counter on it ProAir does not. You may also need to be on steroids for your lungs temporarily, oral steroids can help the lungs heal but you cannot be on oral steroids like prednisone for long periods of time unless you have a more severe medical condition due to the severe side effects of prednisone.
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.