Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
User Profile
I am a 61yr old male. I had inguinal hernia surgery (right side) on Nov 12'09, and recovered from the surgery very well. I have not done any heavy lifting or strenuous activity since. On Friday Jan 1'10, I took a walk for about 1/4 of a mile and upon returning home I started to get a sharp pain on my right side about 1 inch above my scar. When I sit or stand for a while it can start to hurt. However, it comes and goes and sometimes I can also feel a bit nauseous, too. My bowels are always normal. I do not have pain when I lie down. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow and with my surgeon next Thursday. Is this normal or a cause for concern? Thanks in advance for your response.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2010
Hernia Answer A8970
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether experiencing pain about an inch above the scar after inguinal hernia surgery is a symptom to be concerned about.

People may experience pain after hernia surgery due to two reasons: if mesh is used in the surgery (its purpose is to form adhesions between the muscles and subcutaneous tissue so that they can keep the muscles from weakening) and if part of an intestine protrudes between the muscles and forms a hernia again.

According to the data that you described, you may be experiencing pain due to one of the two reasons listed above. You might consider seeing your surgeon to rule out possible protrusion of part of the intestine in the inguinal channel.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.