Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

inguinal hernia was actually femoral, nerve caught in mesh

User Profile
Hello,
I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia 3 years ago and had mesh surgery to repair it 2.5 years ago.After my laparoscopic surgery it was discovered that the hernia was actually femoral. It took quite a while for me to get back to exercising ( 6 months at least) and the pain after jogging was un bearable. After 1 year some of the pain subsided and I thought I was getting better. Thats when the real pain began, sometimes its getting up off the couch too fast that causes a stabbing pain, sometimes its just walking . I also have problems urinating (starting a stream) and if I hold it for too long the pain is horrible on both sides of my lower abdomen. I've been to 2 doctors and one said they want nothing to do with me, the other prescribed me lyrica, often used for fibromyalgia. They figure a nerve is caught in the mesh, but what am I to do? At 24 I am in too much pain to live a normal life. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2012
Hernia Answer A40194
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

According to the description provided by you two possibilities seem to be there, either there is nerve entrapement or you have allergy to the mesh which was used. A nerve block can be used to check if there has been any entrapement, in such case femoral nerve block can be used depending on the pain and its radiation which can be decided after a clinical examination.

If that does not help then allergy to mesh can be suspected. In that case removal of the mesh is the only recommended treatment. It might be possible that you are having pelvic infection even which is causing lower abdomen pain and urination issues. You definitely require a treatment. Kindly visit a Surgeon for detailed analysis.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.