Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Inguinal hernia symptoms - no bulge

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hello there, I have had hernia like symptoms for a couple of months now on the lower right side ranging from lower right abdomen and radiating all the way down to my right testicle. I have been complaining from right testicular pain for about 2 years but the pain was seldom and was only right testicular pain, until early this year the pain came and left more often. I saw my doctor and sent me to get an ultrasound which showed nothing. Then I saw a surgeon and he did not suspect anything and said that it could be a small hernia developing and that it would manifest over time. This was in Early March. Last week I went to a different doctor and told him that the pain is almost on a regular basis and it now involved lower right groin pain. I described the pain as an ache, that sometimes comes when i do crunches but never comes when I run. I sometimes feel a pressure sensation when My belt is right by the lower right abdominal. I also feel an ache by the lower right groin area. It does not hurt when I sneeze and cough.
The doctor sent me to a general surgeon who ordered a CT scan. It did not show anything and told me that the chances of being an inguinal hernia are very small. I'm wondering if maybe because I was laying down the CT wasn't able to pick up the hernia?
At this point im clueless and do not know what to think. Would the next step be of physically looking at the inguinal wall to make a determination?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dpl21

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2011
It is unlikely that an inguinal hernia that is so small that it cannot be detected by physical exam, ultrasound, or CT scan is causing you this much pain. Certainly, one can develop chronic pain from myofascial injury in the groin area, however. (There are other potential causaes of groin pain, as well, although most of them can be ruled out by testicular ultrasound and CT scans.)

You might wish to ask your doctor to refer you to a pain management specialist.

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
I appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 8th, 2011
Experienced User
You may be experiencing what is called a sports hernia or athletic pubalgia. Do some research on these two ailments. There are 3 imaging tests that are employed to help determine if you have any one of these three:

1.) Dynamic ultrasound with cine looping recording and power doppler enabled

2.) MRI with special protocols

3.) MR arthrogram

You must find a hospital and a radiologist with an excellent sports medicine understanding, to administer and/or read the results. Your everyday local hospital may not have the expertise or the expert personnel to do these scans effectively.
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank fuerza for this post: dpl21 

replied October 18th, 2011
I have the same exact symptoms for past couple days but feel no lump or bulge. A radiating small pain from my lower right abdominin to my right testicle. It is getting better though.

Ill look up the sports hernia.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 19th, 2011
mild abdominal pain
I used to work out at a gym some few months ago,i have this mild abdominal pain and testicular discomfort on my right side eventhough i have no bulge or lump on my groin or abdomen i suspect it might be a hernia..i have visited a doctor and he saids its nothing serious. The most important thing of it all is that i applied to join the army and i have been selected to go for my medical examination.i just want to know what my problem might be and whether its safe to go for the military training if i should pass the medical examination. are all abdominal and testicular discomfort feelings symptoms of hernia???
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 5th, 2016
44 year old female with major groin pain left leg
I am a 44 year old female and have groin pain so bad i can barely walk. I hear a lot of popping and clicking in my hip area. I do not have a bulge, but i have noticed that when I blow my nose, i feel it in that area where it hurts. Sorry if that grossed you out....I don't play sports but I am on my feet 12 hour days. Any ideas about any of this?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 28th, 2017
All of you look up lipoma on the spermatic chord.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.