Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

inguinal hernia repair, pain ?

User Profile
I had an open inguinal hernia repair on my right side 6 days ago. I have been in alot of pain. I am very bruised also. My incision is about 6inches long, but the last two days i have been noticing a burning pain around the base of my penis. It also looks and feels like there is a smaller hernia in my right scrotum. Is this normal? Should I be in so much pai that i cant hardley walk? I called my surgeon and she said this can be expected with a rip that was a big as mine. But im reading about it and it doesnt seem normal. I lived with the hernia for over two years before being able to pay for it so i didnt know if this would be cause for having so much pain. I'm just worried that something might not be right and I really cant afford for this not to go right because I need to get back to work as soon as possible. thank you for any information you can give me about this.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2011
Hernia Answer A19992
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Some kind of pain is usual after the surgery but burning pain and some abnormal feeling in right scrotum is difficult to comment without a proper examination.There can be a possibility of local inflammation or either the pain may be due to the pressure on the surrounding nerves located in the area.
It is advisable to visit your treating surgeon and get it examined so that the cause can be ascertained.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.