Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Inguinal hernia post - op advice

User Profile
I had a right side inguinal hernia repair, mesh, open surgery, 8 days ago.

Since then, coughing / sneezing and any active movement (jogging for a bus, climbing the stairs, sitting down too hard) has given me sharp pain in my right testicle. It feels like my testicle is very sensitive to any kind of impact. Once I've 'set it off' it tends to be more sensitive for the rest of the day.

Stretching in certain directions also seems to trigger the pain.

Apart from this problem, everything seems to be absolutely fine, including (careful) sex, and I have no pain other than in these scenarios.

Is this a normal side effect, or should I be concerned that something has gone wrong with my surgery / mesh?

Thanks in advance Smile

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
Hernia Answer A5825
Current medical status: Right side testicular sensitivity following inguinal hernia open surgery / mesh.
Current medical treatment: None

Most of the activities you mentioned are not recommended so soon after inguinal hernia surgery. On the other hand, the tissue that has been repaired is still swollen causing pressure to the nerves and therefore, it is not unusual for mild pain to occur in the scrotum several days after the operation. Avoid any activities that might put pressure on the anterior abdominal wall and cause the inguinal hernia to appear again.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.