Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Inguinal hernia operation pain

User Profile
I had an inguinal hernia operation just under 4 weeks ago. The recovery was feeling fine until two days ago when I started getting pain walking, coughing, sneezing etc...

I went back to my local GP who wasn't sure what the problem was. I had another ultrasound but they said there was no sign of the hernia reoccurring. I have been placed on antibiotics in case of infection, but the pain feels very similar to when the hernia first appeared.

The pain has been consistent since it has come back and I am getting worried that they maybe missed something with the ultrasound.

Since the operation I haven't lifted anything over 2 kilograms or done any physical activity. The scar from the operation isn't hot or different from what it was beforehand.

If you could provide me with any extra information or advice it would be much appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2009
Hernia Answer A6914
Assuming that there postoperative pain. In most cases, this will gradually improve over time. Anti-inflamamtory medications and hot or/and cold packs can be helpful while healing is still ongoing.

In 3 to 5% of inguinal hernia repairs, patients go on to develop chronic pain in the area of their hernia repair. However, it is much too soon, yet, for you to be concerned about a possible chronic postoperative pain syndrome.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.