Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Ingiunal hernia symptoms ?

About 2 weeks ago, 2 days after lifting a heavy tv, I began a feeling a little soreness in my lower, left groin. A friend, that is a PA, said he felt a small bulge but was unsure. I felt it, but it was almost indistinguishable.

I went to a doctor, but because there was no descension, diagnosed me with diverticulitus, despite no other symptoms. I was giving some meds, but stopped taking after a few days because they were making me sick.

I've felt fine for a couple of days until I moved a couple of small computers. Within 30 minutes the pain returned to my groin with a more noticeable bulge. The bulge is about 1 1/2 inches above my penis and near the crease of my left thigh. The bulge is neither soft nor hard, it moves somewhat, but I can't seem to push it back in. It is tender to the touch.

The Dr. wants me to have a CT scan but I have some doubts about him and have another appointment with another Dr. in January.

Does this sound like in inguinal hernia?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Increased abdominal pressure due to heavy lifting is one of the reason for appearance of hernia.
In man the most frequent place for hernia is inguinal or groin area.
Having a painful or noticeable bulge with heavy or dragging sensation in your groin area, abdominal discomfort, sudden pain in scrotum, and pain in the groin while standing or moving, are all symptoms of inguinal hernia.

Try gently and easily to push the bulge back into your abdomen when you're lying down.
Applying an ice pack to the area may reduce the swelling enough so that the hernia slides in easily.

If the bulge becomes bigger, more painful, change the color in red, and you start to experience abdominal swelling, more severe abdominal pain, or, constipation, see your doctor right away.

Best wishes,
Marija
|

replied December 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

I'm glad to hear you are going for another opinion. If it turns out to be a hernia... please read through some of the threads about hernia mesh, hernia complications, etc...there are other options to repair a hernia other than the meshes which most surgeons are using today.
|