Information about the fourth generation of the ELISA HIV test

User Profile
i wnat to know about 4th generation elisa hiv test

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A10707
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know more about the fourth generation of ELISA HIV test.

The fourth generation of ELISA HIV test detects simultaneously the p24 antigen and antibodies against this antigen. Researchers have shown results that the seroconversion of HIV in individuals is detected faster if fourth generation of ELISA HIV test is used. Researchers have found that the detection of seroconverions of HIV is now available nearly a week earlier than if other tests are used. Fourth generation assays are more sensitive than any other test, including RT-PCR. Since fourth generation ELISA for HIV combine two different test principles in one assay, the potential for nonspecific reactivity might be expected to be higher than that with third generation antibody assays.

According to the data that you described, you liked to know more about the fourth generation of ELISA HIV test. Consult with an infectologist for further advice and information about this type of test.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an infectologist for further advice and information about diagnosis of HIV.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.