Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Inflammatory arthritis treatment ?

User Profile
I was dianosed with inflammatory arthritis a few years ago now. I went to see my consultant yesterday and said that the consultant that i have seen for the past two years had not been treating my inflammatory arthritis as he put my problems down to fibromyligia. I have now had to have x-rays blood tests, and may have to have a emergency MRI scan in the few weeks.

Do you think much damage could have been done in the past two years that I have not been treated for inflammatory arthritis. I am worried now as over the years i have missed exam through the pain and the consultant at the time just said keep moving there is nothing wrong with your back you need to lose weight (i am over weight by 1stone and a half) So not severely overweight but i am just worried there may be some damage that might not be able to put right with my back and neck.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2010
Arthritis Answer A9721
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be concerned by the break of 2 years in the treatment of inflammatory arthritis. Inflammatory arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis is chronic disease of unknown cause and variable course. Some patients experience only a mild illness with minimal joint damage whereas others have progressive disease with marked functional impairment but the therapy for RA is known to retard the progression of disease especially with DMARDs like Methotrexate etc. Also, those with high titres of rheumatoid factor, C-reactive protein and haptoglobin have a worse prognosis and a more aggressive and progressive joint damage.
You must have complete battery of tests as advised by your doctor and immediately start on therapy to assist in the modification of disease progression.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.