User Profile
can someone help me? My husband has been seeking help for years and was just told last night he probably has bipolar. He is on his 3rd affair (this one is the love of his life) which appears to have started about 8 weeks ago when he got bad again and he has become very physically and mentally abusive to me over the past few months.
Is there a higher probability of infidelity with bipolar people?
We will be married 29 years next month.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Bipolar Disorder Answer A12280
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with Bipolar disorder in your husband and want to know if there is higher probability of infidelity with Bipolar disorder.
Bipolar infidelity is a common and tragic consequence of mania and hypersexuality. The cause is the hypersexuality, impaired judgement, poor impulse control, and grandiosity all brought on by mania. The cure is to stabilize the bipolar person and stop the mania - invariably this is best done with a proven mood stabilizer such as lithium. In this sense, there is nothing personal about bipolar infidelity. You can consult your psychiatrist and he will prescribe the appropriate mood stabilizer that will help in controlling the mania as mood swings are established in Bipolar disorder.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.