Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

infertility specialist or a perinatologist?

User Profile
What is the difference between an infertility specialist and a perinatologist. How will I known which type of specialist will be right for me.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2011
Getting Pregnant Answer A19925
Welcome to ehealthforum.
An infertility specialist is one who deals with all types of infertility problems, doing investigations for diagnosis of underlying problems, looks at condition of eggs and their harvesting, helps you with treatment and procedures in getting pregnant and continuing with pregnancy.
A perinatologist is a specialist obstetrician dealing with fetal-maternal medicine that is concerned with high-risk-pregnancies and complications. Perinatal period starts at the 20th to 28th week of gestation and ends 1 to 4 weeks after birth, so, a perinatologist logically could be an obstetrician or pediatrician but, in practice, a perinatologist is an obstetrician.
You can decide on which one to consult based on the problem you want to get solved. An opinion from both would be better to have complete overview of the risks and benefits involved for better decision making for pregnancy and the possible effects to expect on the child.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.