Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

infection risk with vs without self-catheterization

User Profile
my urologist says I need to start self-catheterizing because my weak (hypotonic) bladder is retaining ten times more urine than it should (300 cc) and puts me at risk of a UTI, which could harm my kidneys. Which sounds reasonable. BUT, one source I found said that 32% of men starting self-catheterization develop a UTI within 6 months. So why would I put myself through self-catheterization if there's a good chance of a UTI whether I do or don't?
Also, I don't understand why I'm at greater risk of a UTI just because I'm retaining more of the exact same stuff. Can somebody explain these two things to me? I want to do what's right, but not if it's unnecessary.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Intermittent self catheterization is the only solution here as continuous catheter placement will make you more prone to infections which is almost 100 percent in 24 hours. So do as your urologist says.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.