Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

infection risk with open piercings

User Profile
I have a question about risk. One of my good friends started to suck on my nipple (30 seconds at most). I realized that they were bleeding two days prior, but not bleeding at that time. I also have pierced nipples. My question is, if he is HIV+, and I had a wound on my nipple, or inside the piercing that was open, and if he had a bleeding wound in his mouth, am I at risk? (I didn't notice any blood). I'm not sure if he's a drug user or not, let's just assume he is positive of HIV. What is my risk? I started to feel ill 4 days after the incident, and on the 5th, I started to run a fever, body aches, scratchy throat, diarrhea, and coughing. I am very nervous, and I have been stressing very badly over this. I am feeling hopeless and terrified, and have become very depressed.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2016
HIV and AIDS Answer A56541
Yes, There is a possibility of HIV infection, if open wounds are exposed to blood of the infected person.

The exact risk of infection cannot be determined, but the infection rate is significantly higher, as the virus has direct access to the recipients blood stream.

But we cant just based on your assumptions, and there are practical issues involved too. As per the history given, the possibility of infection, just by sucking at your nipple, is extremely low.

The symptoms you had are more likely to be due to common cold infection, and not due to HIV.

If you are too stressed, consult a doctor and seek proper counselling at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.