Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Infection induced symptoms

User Profile
I am taking my son to the doctor this wednesday but i needed to ask. I believe my husbands brother at a very young age had bone cancer so i understand that that would make our son more suseptable to getting it. But lately strange things have been happening and I'm worried. He has been getting strange illnesses then getting better, constipation medicine doesn't work, pain in stomack, leg in bone, back, loss of appitite, headaches, before some of this started he had sores in his throat, and pain in armpit and it was swollen. Also about a month ago in his armpit he had one purplish dot in it but when i ask my doctor they don't know. they gave medicin for this symptom and that but not all of them and i'm confused. So what should i do request blood test, xray, I'm worried it could be cancer?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
Toddlers Answer A10658

Given the data you provided (pain in stomach, pain in leg, back, loss of appetite, recent history of purplish dot in armpit and sores in throat, pain and swelling in armpit) it is hard to tell what might have caused the condition.

However, certain assumptions can be given. The condition might be caused by an infection, which might be related to the recent sore throat. The age of the child was not given. The exact location of the pain in the leg might have been helpful. For example, in rheumatic fever the bacteria attack the big joints on the legs (knee or ankle) which become swollen and painful. The swelling might last for several days and then affect another of the above mentioned joints.

The pain in the stomach might simply be gasses associated with constipation or colic (spasm of the muscles in the bowel). This might be often seen in babies when they adapt to new food.

You might want to visit your general practitioner or pediatrician for a physical examination and laboratory blood tests. The test might show the presence of infection. Elevated levels of ASOT (Antistreptolysin O titer) might make the doctors search for possible rheumatic fever.

As for the bone cancer, one of the laboratory tests for bone cancer includes alkaline phosphatase. This enzyme is linked with decomposition of bones. One of the situations when bone is decomposed is bone cancer. Normal levels of alkaline phosphatase might be enough to calm you down, because none of the symptoms indicates bone cancer. Other ways of diagnosing bone cancer include imaging methods and a biopsy (once the location of the tumor is identified).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Toddlers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.