Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Infection after breast reduction

I had breast reduction oct.31 2008.I researched everything and had friends and relatives who had the service done with wonderful results then came me. Questions were raised from the start as a friends and family they were wrapped and I was not which left my family wondering why my wounds were left open like that after such a major surgrey. after I was and still am in constant and persistant pain suffered from numerous absecess and open sores also hardness and lumps and awful stiffness. and i have not slept good since. My doctor has been very unconcerned and anal about my grief mother is very concerned and worried about me and when she asked the doctor questions that concerned she and he got into it.I have been told by my private doctors of the infection in my chest and the doctor who did the reduction says there is no infection and everything is normal? I am so unhappy and in pain I cannot sleep anyway but sitting up and on my back any other way will cause pain beyond belief for about 5 minutes. I feel my doctor is very unconcerned and has a man up get over it and deal attitude. I am now thinkin maybe I should turn to legal advice can u please help to understand please please.All I do is cry when and look at the horrid mess I have gotten myself into
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Breast Infection
You afre not alone.I had surgery March 10 and it is on both t incisions.Raw,breast hurt,stiff,white stuff,yellow infection coming out and he is telling me its not infected he dont know what it is.I am in pain 24/7 hurts really bad after i try to sleep.Now he has me putting bleach and salt water guaze on it.This is crazy and it is getting to me mentally also.I just want to cry.Anything tht looks like this is infected.I am 46 years old and i know infection when i see it.So your not the only one and now i dont know what to do,im lost.He asks the same as your Dr.unconserned,as you'll figure something out.I am the same what have i got myself into.
|

replied January 14th, 2013
breast reduction
I had breast reduction and it has been a living nightmare. I so want to enjoy my new body but, I was really sick after surgery, for at least a week. I couldn't get in to see the Dr. again of course. I then have had to go to emergency room because they hurt so bad. They are swollen hard and underneath is bright red and still seeping. Emergency Dr put me on antibiotics and told me to go back to Dr who did surgery. Of course I tried call them again and as always they say a nurse will call me back. Nope no nurse called me back. I think it is so unfair, they wouldn't even make me an appointment or refill my pain meds, since I should NOT be feeling pain now. Really? They even want to tell me what i feel and they won't even see me. I just want to feel good and I feel like I am on some painful rollercoaster ride.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied October 31st, 2010
MAD PATIENT

I to had the same problem. the doctor told me three times that the hole under my breast is normal and i dont have any infections, well i found out last friday that i not only have an infection but he has me on 2 antibiotic one for the infection and the other one is to prevent more infections like mercer. i am very unhappy with my surgery and surgeon. i wish i never had it done.
|

replied July 1st, 2011
post breast reduction complications
I had breast reduction surgery 3 months ago and developed a small pocket in the incision line yesterday. when I took my bra off today it exploded. brownish liquid with some blood in it came out. Then after it stopped leaking so much there was a yellow whitish thicker liquid that came out with more blood than before. I went to the Dr she said that it wasnt an infection.didnt seem concerned.. but told me I was an exceptional case. it was just a suture that came loose and I had a reaction. she gave me gauze to pack and change out 2x per day. told me to start a multi vitamin and 500mg vitamin D and 500 mg calcium daily. and to come see her in a week. no antibiotic and I'm just floored.. I think I should be on an antibiotic?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
cls4,

The treatment for an infection is to debride it, which is what happened. The pocket of purulent material opened and drained. That is the best thing that can happen. And unless a culture was taken which confirmed a bacterial infection, one cannot not say that it was truly infected. Many times the body will react to a foreign body (the suture) and form a pocket of purulent looking material. The body then tries to wall it off from the rest of the body. It if can erupt to the surface, then if will usually heal without any problems. Otherwise, it usually has to be drained.

Antibiotics are over used in our society today. Which has caused many problems with resistance. The best way to treat an open wound is with local wound care.

Keep the area clean with soap and water. The best way is to use the shower. Soap up the area really well, being sure to get into the pocket a little. If you have a shower nozzle that you can direct right at the area, that's great, but otherwise rinse the area well. Make sure any tissue in the wound has been flushed out. Dry it with a towel. You do not need to pack the wound tightly, the gauze should keep the lips of the wound open, so it heals from the bottom up.

It will actually heal with the least scar with this method. The wound will close gradually. Just do not let the skin close before the depth of the wound has healed. That will allow the material to collect again and you would have to start over.

If, the wound does start to look more angry, red, draining, etc, then it may have moved into the soft tissues. In that case, antibiotics may help.

Again, keep the wound clean, let it heal from the bottom up, and you should do great.

Good luck.
|

replied November 10th, 2013
Infection
I really appreciate a clear, explanatory comment that I can understand. So thank you, Gaelic. I am 2 weeks, 2 days post op, and I realized I had an infection in the incisions under my breast yesterday. Plenty of yellow seeping. My doctor put me back on antibiotics, I washed with antibacterial soap, applied Neosporin and gauze. I have to say, after I removed the steri strips today, I was shocked at how awful it looked. I have to seemingly small holes that are full of pus and looking pretty scary.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....