I have a burning sensation in the lower left part of my abdomen. The sensation is intermittent and various in degree. Some days I will have it all day long and pain is greatest during these periods. Other times it is barely noticeable. This started in mid-May.

Attempts to determine the cause first through blood analysis, then an ultrasound and lastly lower gastrointestinal (GI) examination, an X-ray of the large intestine did not reveal anything out of the ordinary.

The doctor who is a GP of Family Medicine does not know what it could possibly be that is causing the burning sensation. No diverticulitis indicated in a physical
exam.I asked about being sent for a CT scan but he told me that such a test would not reveal anything since the ultrasound came up negative. The only thing he could come up with is that I was suffering from a neuritic pain. I am a male.

I would like to know if there is someone here who can offer some thoughts and insights of what this might be and any further investigations that may be worthwhile
exploring?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 29th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
The cat scan will show more than a ultrasound.....ask another Dr for a 2nd opinsion with an ultrasound. Did they check urine for infection.
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Pain in the lower abdomen in a male, can arise due to inflammation or infection of the intestines, colon, urinary tract obstruction, lymph node enlargement, vascular tissues involvment, etc.

If your symptoms are more likely due to gastrointestinal reasons then you might have symptoms - like nausea, vomiting, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain associated with intake of food, blood in stool, loss of appetite, chronic loss of weight , etc.

If you have such issues, then consulting a gastroenterologist will be recommended. Tests including a CT scan or endoscopic studies can be done to diagnose any possible medical disorders.

Also tests of the blood, urine and stool will also be helpful to make a probable diagnosis.

I hope this helps.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.