Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Indigestion and floating bowel movements

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello. I'm a somewhat healthy, about to turn 31 year old male. I say somewhat healthy, because I picked-up the smoking habit in college ad it took me 10 years to quit. I've only been done a short time, but I am done.

About two months ago I started having some breathing issues (this prompted me to stop smoking). I went to my Dr. who took a chest X-Ray and asked about heartburn. As it turns out, I had already been on Prilosec from a previous Dr. (who retired) due to heartburn. We changed the meds to Aciphex and the burning and asthma went away, but I began to notice that my stomach was feeling full and very bloated. There didn't seem to be a particular time (i.e. after eating), it seemed random.

After a business trip in which I forgot the Aciphex but still had Prilosec from a previous trip, the extreme bloating went away. We decided to stick with the Prilosec.

Only a couple days after that, I went out to dinner and had a large meal. I noticed something was up because I didn't finish the meal. Immediately after arriving home (inside of 30 minutes after dinner), I had severe cramps and diarrhea. That night, I woke up, and was kept awake, by severe shivering...much like the chills.

I discovered the next day that I had no appetite at all. I couldn't even force down a single cracker. In addition, I noticed that my bowel movements were loose and floated. This lasted through the next day, prompting a call to my Dr. We scheduled an ultrasound (gallbladder), which came back normal.

I was able to get in for an EGD of my esophagus, stomach, and small bowel, which was also normal. During this time, the loose bowel movements (that floated) continued, along with the absence of my appetite. Perhaps more concerning, was that I began to lose weight. By the end of the week, I lost close to 8 pounds...again, in one week.

The following week I had a CT scan, which came back normal, and a colonoscopy, which yes, came back normal. I have a touch of diverticulosis, but the GI said that was unlikely causing my symptoms.

What do I do now?????? Nobody seems to be able to provide answers.

The good news is that my appetite does slightly come back from time to time...just not as often or as much as I would like. Also, when I do eat, I live in fear of indigestion. For instance, yesterday I had a sandwich...almost 20 hours later, it felt like I ate an entire 7 course meal ten minutes ago! Almost 24 hours later, I still feel bloated, but at least feel hungry...not a normal hungry, a very intense, almost painful feeling...but I don't really want to eat. In general when I do get indigestion, it seems like it lasts for at least the 24 hours.

The diarrhea has taken a slight hiatus...two days prior to the colonoscopy (4 days ago) it was "normal", the day after (yesterday) was diarrhea, and today it was normal again. The weight loss seems to remain, though it seems to be occurring at a slower pace now that I have at least some appetite sometimes. All told, I'm down about 11 or 12 pounds in 2 and a half weeks.

Sorry for the rambling, I am very scared. I keep getting tested, but no answers are forthcoming. I try and follow-up, but I'm told to wait until the next test.

The indigestion and the loose, floating bowel movements led me to believe something was wrong with my pancreas, but blood tests indicate normal enzyme levels and nothing was picked up on the CT. What should I do? Is it possible that something was missed on the CT scan??

I am somewhat confident that at least a portion of my indigestion feelings may be due to nerves, which still doesn't make me feel any better. Also, the chills seem to be tied into the nerves too, but either way, it is very scary waking up in the middle of the night shivering uncontrollably!

Help! Any advice, suggestions, direction would be MUCH appreciated!!! I like my doctors and they have been very accommodating, but obviously I'm not their only patient and I can only talk to them so much at any given time.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bharwood78
|

replied March 12th, 2009
Tests
Have you been tested for Celiacs disease? What about acute porphyria? You might want to mention them to your doctor. Google them and see if your syptoms match.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
RE: Tests
When they did the EGD, they took a biopsy of the small bowel, so I would assume they looked for Celiac, but I don't want to assume so I will certainly ask because many of the symptoms seems to line up! I'll also ask about the acute porphyria. The symptoms don't line-up quite as well, but I need to get this figured out. Thanks so much for your response!
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Shaking
I have the exact symptoms as you. It is 2 a.m. and the pain, loose b.m. feeling of panic and heartburn,belching,nausea has me up.I am getting test results back tomorrow so if I find out anything I will let you know./
|

replied May 4th, 2009
RE: Shaking
Any news on your test results?? I'm still trying to get a resolution out of this. I finally pushed my Dr. to order another CT with a thin slice of the pancreas. It's safe to say I'm terrified at this point. Hope things go well for you. Thanks.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
chase1313

I was seeing a gastro doc for years..my diago was ibs, reflux, gerd... I havd blood taken then and was told it would be tested for Celiac and other things. I just found out my 19 year old has celiac sprue and I called to confirm I was tested, and low and behold it was left off the order. I was now tested 9 years later and guess what??? celiac!!! You have got to get the blood panel done for celiac, the bio they did is to confirm damage that may be done from it from what I understand.It really sound very much like me....please check it out, once I stopped eating wheat the world changed.if you dont want to do the test, stop eating wheat, rye, barley ,malt,spelt, and anything that contains it and see what happens after a couple weeks
|

replied January 24th, 2010
Hello Chase, I wanted to know how everything is going. I hope they found out what the problem is. I'm having constant indigestion. I had a normal endoscopy and the omeprazole that was given to me worked at first but now it's not working and it's only been two weeks on that med. This is driving me wacky. I have an appointment with my physician next week and I'm going to mention having my pancreas checked because that's my main concern.
|

replied January 25th, 2010
I have this exact problem and have had it off and on for 5 years. Please let me know what you found out Chase 313! I've had an upper endoscopic ultrasound to test for CP and they found no indicators showing chronic pancreatitis, gallbladder is ok, minor irritation to stomach, no ulcers...It never seems to resolve. This list of symptoms chase 313 are so much like mine, it prompted me to post for the first time in years. Please let me know what they found.
|

replied May 21st, 2010
i don't have the same exact symptoms but i think i might have a type of acute porphyria. i have had unexplainable medical issues for about 2 years. my grandpa told me to look into it so i did. all my unexplainable symptoms fit and it's crazyyy! also, now i might have endometriosis which also ties into this type of acute porphyria. my doctor won't test me for it but i'm not sure why. i also know that the testing process is very difficult and they have to send it out of state. i'm 15 so all this kinda sucks. if anyone knows anything about this please write back. thankss!Smile
|

replied August 27th, 2011
I think you might have gastroparesis. In other words, your stomach muscles have weakened. Feeling full after a couple of bites, indigestion, lack of appetite, bloating, heartburn, nausea, weight loss, loose and floating bowel. I pretty much have all the symptoms that you have. I was diagnosed about a year ago after suffering for about a year. It's a chronic condition that creeps up on you out of nowhere. Some say it's genetic, hormonal, viral, stress related,etc. It comes and goes whenever it wants to and literally throws your life out of whack. Now your main focus in life is about eating and making sure you can get food down your throat. The only way to somewhat cope with it is to adjust your diet by eating small meals throughout the day(which is not easy b/c you'll be munching on something all day long), cut down on fatty foods, high sugary snacks(basically high calorie foods slow down digestion), carbonated drinks,and too much fiber(fresh vegetables, fruits, etc., cause alot of gas--->cook them). Basically you have to experiment with alot of different foods and find what works for you. Unfortunately GI docs don't give you much information on the diet part. You basically have to figure it out by doing some research.Also most importantly make sure you are getting enough calories everyday.Count your calorie intake if you want to maintain your weight. Smoothies, apple sauce, crackers are a good way to add calories throughout the day. Good luck!
|