User Profile
Hi,

I am going to the dentist tomorrow!
Since 2003 when I took my wisdom teeth out, I since than began to have my jaw clicking every time I open my mouth like yawning or chewing on meats. and now its starting to kind of hurt a bit.
I wanted to ask if anyone had this before and maybe give me some advice on what exactly what to ask the dentist?

Thanks for your time.

Lenita101

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2010
Dental Health Answer A8942
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

The jaw clicking every time you open your mouth and while eating, and it beginning to hurt, following a history of tooth extraction, goes in favor of TMJ.

Massaging the muscles helps. You have to press on muscles of the cheek to look for sore points. Then massage these points with short strokes. To massage the masseter muscles on each side of your jaw, place your thumb inside your mouth and squeeze the thick muscle in your cheek with your fingers. To massage the jaw muscles inside your mouth, use your index finger to probe and massage these spots.

Moist heat or cold packs on the face, vitamin supplements, or biofeedback are useful for certain people. Usually people find a method that brings relief by trial and error. Discuss this with the dentist tomorrow. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.