Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Indications of generalized anxiety disorder

User Profile
This is regarding my mother who is presently suffering from acute depression and anxiety. Ours is a nuclear family, me, my younger brother, dad and mom. Relations between us are not so cordial. Due to job I and my brother are far apart from parents. This has caused a very depression, loneliness and insecurity feelings to my mom. She is presently not feeling well with hypertension and acute tension prevails.

She has a past history of nervous disorder when she was young on the age of 20-22 years that got very serious after her marriage. Even in my younger age she suffered from the problem and I consulted lots of Physiatrists and Neurologists. Due to change of time and life style the problem was suppressed but still she was suffering from sleeping disorders.

I am eager to know what the best remedies to overcome these situations are. What are the methods to lead a happily and healthy life?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A8692
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

The symptoms that your mother is having are suggestive of generalized anxiety disorder. It is an anxiety disorder characterized by chronic anxiety, exaggerated worry and tension, even when there is little or nothing to provoke it. Symptoms include fatigue, fidgeting, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, insomnia, and hot flashes.

I suggest that you consult a psychiatrist for your mother and start with the treatment. Treatment options include cognitive behaviour therapy, medicines like SSRI’s, benzodiazepines and psychological counseling.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.