Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

inconsistent spikes of pain after Hernia repair?

User Profile
I had an open Inguinal Hernia Repair on Jan 2011.
From Feb 9, I I feel sharp, inconsistent spikes of pain. When the pain is sharp it feels as if it is from my left testicle, and when it's mild it feels like it's from under the incision
It happens mostly when I bend down or when I sit. It feels like something inside has been touched under upper of incision area. If I bend down further or not as far, the pain will go away immediately.
This doesn't happen when I lie down--I sleep well at night--nor when I cough, or when I stand still. Pressing on the incision helps to avoid the pain when I move around. Sucking in my stomach helps too.

I got my urine tested, plus an ultrasound. Everything's normal, and the doctor said that he wants to give me a local anesthetic next week, which will find out whether this is a nerve problem.
I'm very worried that my nerves may have been damaged/trapped, or even anything else.
May I know what is the local anesthetic, how it help?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2011
Hernia Answer A20013
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Some kind of pain after hernis surgery is fine.But sudden pain after about a month of surgery could be due to inflammation of the surrounding areas or nerve entrapement in which a nerve is continuously compressed due to local swelling and inflammation.It is very difficult to comment in your case without a proper examination.
Local Anaesthetic is the application of the anaesthetic drug on a particular body part which makes the area numb and causes loss of sensation.It will help in excluding nerve entrapement.Even if it is present it can be relieved by medicines and physical exercises.Kindly visit your treating surgeon for evaluation.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.