Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Incision pain 2 months after hysterectomy

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
Hello - I have had a partial abdominal hysterectomy in July, 2010. At first things seemed to be healing fine, but then around September 2 months after, my incision started hurting me. Very sensitive to touch it or have anything like clothing touching it or rubbing on it. It hurts to touch it even now. Then in October, something happened where I started getting shooting pains around my pelvic area above my pubic bone and around the groin area. They just come on kind of random, but can hurt bad enough to make me stop walking and grab at that area. It seems to be worse if I try and exercise as well, like walking fast or riding a bike (this seems to hurt even more). I cant sit for any length of time either as it starts to hurt to sit from pressure. Wearing anything that puts pressure on my lower abdomen makes me ach so badly.
Any thoughts? I am now trying some patches with Lidocain on them to see if that works for the incision but it is not helping with the other pain. Any thoughts!!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2010
Hysterectomy Answer A17485
Welcome to the forum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the severe pelvic pain that you are having. There are many possibilities to your symptoms. Firstly, it can be pelvic inflammatory disease which can be caused by an infection of the pelvic organs. As you are a female, so this possibility is high.

It can also be due to fibroid uterus or ovarian cysts. Ultrasound abdomen and cervical swabs are needed to rule them out. Other possibilities are inflammatory bowel disease, bowel obstruction, irritable bowel syndrome, kidney obstruction or pyelonephritis, psoas abscess and volvulus (twisting of the sigmoid part of the large bowel on itself). Investigations like ultrasound abdomen, CT abdomen and colonoscopy are required to confirm a diagnosis. My advice is to consult a physician/ gynecologist and get it evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.