Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Inactive schizophrenia or active schizophrenia?

Does anyone know how someone can spot if a person has inactive schizophrenia or active schizophrenia?

I'd like to know how to defend myself because I feel well, the GP says I'm well, I have been signed off from the pscychiatric department!!! but I am still having to contend with a lot of questions and lots of observation from
people who have relatives with some kind of depression/ similar lifestyle habits / similar opinions and attitudes
towards life. For example, when I visit my parents back at their place, I will simply be sitting on their sofas
with my computer on my knee and then my mum's friend will come and random start chatting to me, if she visits.
I know this is a very very lovely thought and idea to do but it's just she comes to our house most days for a chat
and to be honest I can't always think of new things to say and find it a bit annoying always having to chat back to
her. However, it's nice to say she's one of our friends, if people down our village ask "who are your friends, who
do you know?" which sometimes comes into question, so it's better having this friend sometimes to chat to.
Just not all the time.

What I'm a little worried about is if I'm not in the mood to communicate back, or don't feel like it, whether this is
being taken that I have communication problems and what this friend tends to do is "act" upon everything she
suspects is wrong with me. Then as I get more and more frustrated at her misinterpretations of my lack of willing
to communicate - she thinks it's active schizophrenia - I have been told that I have inactive schizophrenia that
only relies regular monitoring from the gp and low dose medication. It's annoying I would love to resolve the
inner questions and inhibitions she seems to have about the way in which I choose to communicate so she
can just be friends with mum and leave me out of her problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper caringfriendoflupus
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2012
Experienced User
(wow--hadn't encountered the term before, and a google of inactive schizophrenia only yields this thread and a bunch of unrelated things. anyway.)

Off the top of my head--next time she tells you she thinks you have a mental disorder because she doesn't like the way you communicate, tell her to show you a psychiatric degree or shove off.

Okay, now I realize that might not be the most productive of suggestions. Maybe you could find a more diplomatic way to point out that you got your diagnosis from a doctor, and she isn't one? I dunno.

Honestly, I suck at situations like this--were this happening in my life, the "friend" would eventually push my buttons once too often, and I would totally explode at her, after which she would never speak to me again. Sure, she'd still have her maddening opinion, but I wouldn't have to hear it anymore. Currently I'm struggling to remember that result doesn't really equal "problem solved."

I wish you luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....