User Profile
Ok so I've had the no-burping problem since I can remember. Same deal: the air comes right up, i feel the pressure at the back of my throat, then it goes back down again. Even if i open the throat muscles and tilt my head back etc all i get is that loud gurgling noise. This makes me think it's further down the throat. I get bloated after everything I eat, and I've discovered for those who also suffer it, there are 2 factors which contribute and help a little. One is eating slower. If you eat fast, you gulp air in with the food. If you're careful, chew each mouthful with your mouth shut, 30 times, then swallow, it helps. It sounds silly but it's true. The other factor is swallowing air due to stress or anxiety. They call this gulping air as well, though you won't notice you're doing it: it's a nervous habit. I was on anti-anxiety anti-depressents for about 4 years and didnt notice the problem until I came off them, about 3 months ago, but i finally HAVE stopped and there's no WAY i want to go back on them. I CAN fart it out...eventually. but it takes hours or even days for this to happen, sometimes the air goes right down and then comes back up: just like with my throat, like it's blocked. And of course it's back again after I eat. It leaves me feeling uncomfortable, irritable, anxious and nauseated for...well, most of the time. I also find myself unable to sleep because of it. I DON'T wake up fine again, usually wake up and it's even more uncomfortable. I've been on omiprazole before and all it did was make me more bloated and fart more. I've noticed that clonazepam helps but I am not on that long-term, and makes me think that the burping problem is muscular. My solution therefore is being able to burp. I want to know if there's a procedure that I can have done to loosen the muscles so I will be able to burp out the air like a normal person. I watch my boyfriend burp an earthquake out and he says it provides him with so much relief, and I am SOOOO jealous! I'm so desperate for a solution and so reluctant to be on more pills, that I will happily go under the knife, and believe me: that is not something I take lightly, since I'm highly allergic to most kinds of antiemetics, and have nasty reactions from anaesthetic. Please, if anyone knows of a procedure, let me know and I will take it to my practitioner.

-Lizzie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile ehearle
|

replied May 13th, 2010
I know that this is a late reply, but I experience the exact same things you do. I''m a teenager, and I get a rising gas pressure in my chest that goes to my throat, but then goes back down (its not exactly relief though when it goes back down). And this cycle continues and builds up. If I am unable to lie down (which seems to make the gas travel down my intestines where I eventually fart it out), they it builds up to the point that I will violently vomit nothing but air and massive amounts of saliva. Throughout these uncomfortable symptoms, I am producing copious amounts of saliva for some strange reason.

These problems do not arise all the time, but like you said, they almost always trigger when I am nervous. There are times when I have had to play in a 2 hour concert (extremely nervous) with the gas pressure continuing to build and build.

The worst part is that its not a known disease and doctors don''t really prescribe anything to solve the problem. I''ve replied to various other threads of many people complaining of the same symptoms, so know that you are not alone.

People who do not experience this often take this problem lightly and often humorously. Because when we do stop to think about it, our problem does seem pretty pathetic. I tell people all the time that I cannot drink soda. If the symptoms do arise, I seem like a weak, pathetic boy who has to, for some reason, lie in the middle of the floor to alleviate the crushing pressure that is building in his esophagus. And hours or even days later, he will release these huge amounts of gas through his backside.

So, all in all, I feel your pain. I''ve gone through all the tests. The doctors assumed it was acid reflux, which I knew from the start that it wasn''t, and I had an endoscopy. I even had a barium x-ray test done, but neither showed any problems. As far as I know, I know of no medical procedure that can fix this problem. I read in another thread that the problem was called the Schatzki Ring (google it), but this problem is often detected in liquid barium x-ray tests, but this was not found in my test.

So I''m desperate and still afflicted by this horrible disease. If anyone, at all, has any solution. Please....help.
|

replied May 24th, 2011
Inability to Burp solution
Well, I appear to have the same problem as both of you. The solution (or rather, "workaround," which is more like it) is to trigger my gag reflex with my index finger. This doesn't make me vomit, but ratherâspam�it releases the air in a loud burp. You may need to do it several times, and I suggest that you practice at home. Use some wadded up tissue to block the noise, and there you go. If you want to be discreet, just wait until the bathroom is empty. It will usually take less than 30 seconds once you get started and train yourself on how to do it.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
i have this same exact problem and the gurgling is so annoying and uncomfortable. i just wish i could relieve the air pressure by burping but of course I can't for some reason. I can't make myself gag because I have a major fear and phobia of vomiting and gagging. If i ever feel like i'm going to throw up then i will prevent myself from doing it. I'm beginning to think it is a psychological thing because in since i have suppressed myself from vomiting, I physically cannot burp. Also this happens when I'm anxious and nervous. I'm going to my doctor soon but from doing some research, I found out that they will not diagnose anything because they are unable to see the problem. I'm only a teenager and I don't want to have to live with this for the rest of my life. If anyone knows any information please let me know. Thanks!
|

replied December 16th, 2014
Wow...I know this is years later but I am also phobic of vomiting! I've been desperately trying to figure out why I was born this way. Do you, by chance, have TMJ? I've found that anxiety, not vomiting as much as "normal people" are almost across the board.
|

replied March 1st, 2015
Wow! I too have a vomiting phobia, anxiety, inability to burp, and TMJ! This is really interesting to me
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2011
inability to pass gas
I too have this same problem since I was very young. I remember when my sister tried to teach me to "burp". She would swallow air & let out a huge burp. I would just get a belly ache. Sometimes the pain radiates up all the way to my jaw! I have even had friends try to "burp" me like an infant cause I can feel the gas in my throat just stuck there, but that only gets it to the top of my throat then I get what I call "the coils" lol I can almost feel the gas swirling like a tornado in my throat! It sounds/feels like its slowly trying to coil out but it doesn't! I don't seem to pass much gas either. I have IBS-D chronic so most of the time if I think I may fart I have to run to the bathroom cause it's not really gas that's passing. As above if anyone knows any more about this please please let us know...thank you for reading. Smile
|

replied September 28th, 2011
Guys, i have the same problem. Endoscopy, barrium swallow and other tests didnt work on me. Manometry is the test you guys might want to get it done, as it helped me too.
|

replied February 13th, 2012
what did they find with the manometry and what was the solution that has helped you?
|

replied February 13th, 2012
what did they find with the manometry and what was the solution that has helped you?
|

replied July 4th, 2012
I have the same problem too! I don't really have any quick solutions either...but I did find one method that helps. I discovered that swimming helped me get the air out. It makes your abdominal muscles work hard to push it out as you're swimming, and then eventually you'll burp it out. I was out in the pool swimming for about 30 min. It was helpful...but I don't have time to swim all the time to let out all that trapped air. =( So I'll still looking for another solution like you guys.
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Try simethicone, you won't be sorry!
simethicone, simethicone and more simethicone (i.e., Gas-X) - it will change your life! It's supposedly a safe drug with no side effects.
|

replied March 14th, 2013
What i found to help when the gas is just swirling in your trought is to go down into a squatting while trying to burp when my legs touch my chest the gas erupts
|

replied July 6th, 2013
I've had this same problem my whole life. Oddly though I had a group of friends that knew about my condition after we all reached beer drinking age and it's because of them that I managed to find several work arounds. I'd drink maybe 2 beers and be so bloated that I'd end up throwing up...which was a colossal waste of beer. So they harassed me constantly to keep trying to learn to burp. Over the course of literally years and their constant forcing me to learn to burp...I actually gained a gradual control of my esophagus sphincters at both my throat and stomach.

As gross as it sounds I burp by engaging both sphincters...much like when you vomit. It's a combination of both relaxing certain muscles while contracting others and literally forcing out the gas. Years of binge drinking hard alcohol also helped due to all the throw up experience.

So if it's bad I usually stand to create as straight a path as possible, tilt my head back, open my mouth with my lower jaw pushed forward, and try to in sequence relax and contract my stomach muscles to first relax so the gas naturally enters the esophagus, then through either relaxation or a series of sharp coughs open up the top sphincter letting out the gas in a semi-burp sound. Sometimes it will sound pretty gross seeing as how you're throwing up without anything coming up.

A sharp cough coupled with a strong stomach push can often tip the balance in letting the gas out. The only downside to this method is occasionally you might throw up a little bit. It's all about relaxing and just letting it out though. The upside is I can throw up almost on que due to the control I've gained through some 10 years of practice.

Just don't give up, pay extremely close attention to what your body and muscles are doing. In normal people this reaction is involuntary, we have to work a lot harder for it. Eventually you'll reach a point that you can regularly "burp" when you need to. It sucks and it's gross and embarrassing, but just stick at it...you'll be happier.
|
Users who thank patrix for this post: captsupercow 

replied July 14th, 2013
While I can burp occasionally this sometimes happens to me, so I don't know if this will work for everyone . I've heard this mostly effects women but again unfortunately this will not work for women. The technique is to push up slightly on the bottom of your Adam's Apple as the pressure from the gas reaches your throat releasing the gas, somewhat like a release valve. If your having trouble even getting the gas to your throat try drinking some water and breathing in your nose and out of your mouth a few times while swallowing air once or twice, not sure but might help a little bit...good luck
|

replied February 14th, 2014
I do have GERD and I have this same issue. While I do tend to worry a lot I do not think that mine has anything to do with anxiety although stress and anxiety never help. I actually think I have an ulcer or something. I keep testing positive for h pylori but I cannot get rid of it. I wanted to share though that for me kombucha tea really helps a lot because like any soda it helps release the burp that otherwise causes me to choke but also it contains probiotics so I actually do not find that drinking the soda compounds the issue at all. Cardamom also helps me a lot as does Acid Ease. If some of you feel like anxiety causes it...anxiety has been considered a cause of gerd itself. It could be anxiety causes a lot of distress to the digestive system and serious disease. Be that as it may my condition is physical to say the least I have to deal with the facts where they stand. Mine is getting pretty dangerous.
|

replied July 17th, 2014
One solution which i found out may sound really odd bt out of experience i have an advice for you..
Try eating a clove of Raw garlic.. Garlic is generaly used in most of the Indian foods jus to avoid the gas prblms due to the spices included..
I am not a doctor but i could actually feel that after taking a Raw garlic (you can take it with water as it is spicy to eat directly),i felt it easy to burp!!

This is my personal experience!

Also if you feel stomach bloating then make a habit of eating cumin seeds or Ajwain regularly.. this helps in digestion..
try eating cumin seeds before every meal
|

replied November 15th, 2015
I've had this for my whole life. It presented as gurgling when I was in grade school and got progressively worse over the years. I call the relieving of the air with my index finger "air barfing." The first time that actually happened was when I was in my 20's. basically I feel really nauseous and then I start salivating. When I release the air, it is pretty instant relief.

I have no idea what I am doing to cause this condition. Sometimes I dont have issues for months but then the last three days, my throat is killing me from "air barfing" 3 days in a row. I thought is might be associated with how I eat sushi, but I'm thinking it may be in the way that I'm swallowing liquid. Would LOVE any info people have on this. Thanks
|

replied November 25th, 2015
I have also had this my entire life, I will soon see a new doctor about this(I have only just re-acquired health insurance; Thanks Obama... another issue). I was originally diagnosed with GERD at the age of 17(2004). I knew something was up at the age of 16 when on a trip I got incredibly sick after drinking a carbonated soda and stopping along the freeway home I only vomited air... That started the process... I had an endoscopy in 2004 and was diagnosed with only GERD. Since then, I have dealt with this issue even up to 2015, being prescribed medicines from Nexium to OTC Omerprazole; which I am currently taking. The best 'medication' so far has been to reduce spicy foods and reduce quickly eating along with the what I call 'self burping' method of inducing only-gas vomiting of air from my Ventriculus(stomach) by inducing vomiting with a finger down my throat (again, not vomiting fluids-- only air). This, however; often induces acid reflux if over-administered. We (all of us with this condition) need to find, and define our disease of dysfunction of the belch reflex as a whole. The more of us there are, the more we can bring awareness to this disease. (NOT just GERD; which, is just a side-effect or symptom of a greater disorder)
|

replied January 5th, 2016
My daughter doesn't like to vomit, but she isn't afraid of it.
|

replied January 5th, 2016
(That wasn't ready to Send, but I don't know how to delete it).
I was about to say that she will try to force the burps when they're bad.
I'd love to know how many sufferers also hiccup a lot. She's got a theory that it's related. Strangely, the one thing that instantly helps is a sip of vinegar.
She gets a lot of abdominal and chest discomfort. Her doctor dismissed it, saying it was nothing to worry about and wrote a script for an antacid.
Is there really nothing they can do?
|

replied May 24th, 2016
I also have inability to burp, anxiety, jaw problems and phobia of vomit! What the heck!?
I should say I have a lot of trouble burping, not a complete inability. It's always accompanied by pain.
I've learned to use meditation and yoga to become as relaxed as possible when I have this problem. Usually it helps.
|

replied September 29th, 2016
I am facing the same symptoms for like past 11 years and no medication has helped till date. I feel as if a lot of air from my chest or stomach trying to come out through my mouth in the form of burp but goes back down as it reaches my mouth. Sometimes i also feel like vomiting but nothing happens. I get irritated and also cannot able to sleep. But from last 2-3 years, some home remedies help me to get rid of this problem for a day. They don't have a long lasting relief but do saves the day.
These home remedies include:
i) An apple, chewed slowly with some black salt.
ii) Half a cup of chilled unsweetend pure buffalo milk.
iii) Cucumber juice mixed with black salt.
iv) Boiled Bottlegourd.
If anyone has found a permanent relief, please do tell.
Hope my home remedies will help the people suffering from the problem.
Thank You!!
|

replied April 9th, 2019
Same here! Have always had it. Cannot burp ever and gas just builds up in my stomach causing so much pain. Sometimes when I feel like I could burp, I just get a sharp intake of air. We call it a “backwards burp” because air goes in instead of out! My father has it also. I eat extremely slowly and avoid carbonated drinks, lactose, nuts, etc because it all gives me gas and pain. I also have that thing where I swallow liquids and food “down the wrong tube” and choke. I have to cough violently to get the liquid out of my lungs and can’t talk for several minutes after. Fun! I’m so glad I’m not alone! I hear that a dr in Chicago is doing Botox treatment for this with great success. I hope we can pursue this and all get relief!
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....