Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Important symptoms of hyperthyroidism

User Profile
I have had most symptoms of graves disease and hyperthyroidism. weight loss, blisters on forehead, excessive sweating, depression, major life stress (had a baby, mother died, bankruptcy within 2 years) dr appt today showed normal TSH levels, although i had irregular readings (not bad enough to show hyperthyroidism) in the past. ultrasound today showed a few small hypoechoic foci may represent complicated cysts or cystic nodules, largest on the right side measuring 7x3x3 mm and largest on left measuring 3mm. my family practitioner has made an appt for an endocrinologist, but that appointment is almost a month away. they sent me home with no answers and no idea about whats going on with my body. what could be going on???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Thyroid Cancer Answer A10464

The symptoms you reported (weight loss, blisters on forehead, excessive sweating, depression, major life stress) might be related to hyperthyroidism, but not always. For example, you did not mentioned any of the more important symptoms of hyperthyroidism such as: tachycardia, heart palpitations or slightly increased body temperature.

The normal TSH levels alone are not enough to tell about the function of the thyroid gland. Laboratory tests for Thyroxin (T4) and Triiodothyronine (T3) are needed in order to evaluate the TSH results properly. The hipoechoic foci on the ultrasound do indicate the presence of anatomical structures that are not supposed to be there, but they might be inactive (meaning that they do not overproduce hormones).

You might want to wait and visit the endocrinologist in order to compare the results you have now and the results from the tests that are likely to be repeated then. Changes in the condition might indicate that treatment is needed. The endocrinologist might even offer a biopsy of the foci in order to determine their true nature. Meanwhile, you might want to complete your laboratory results with T3 and T4.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.