Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Important question about ADD

Hey, so let me start of be explaining what goes on. I am 16, a sophomore in high school. I take some AP classes and other honors classes... and this whole year I have been not caring or studying at all, missed alot of classes, been late alot, and gotten into alot of fights with my mom over school stuff. I was smoking for a while, but 15 days ago I quit, and im doing fine... so basically heres what happened. I havent been diagnosed with ADD, nor have I ever taken any ADD pills, but today before school, I took some of my friends vyvanse... Yea idc if its bad or whatever, I took it, and now i have a serious question. Today was the most productive day I have ever had at school.. in my life.. I had an in-class essay for AP english, and have 1hr 30 mins to write it, and I wrote straight up for the whole time, 6 whole pages front and back. The BEST essay I have ever written in my life... I acctually had fun writing it..In math i got 6 whole chapters ahead interms of homework, and in spanish I knew the verb conjugations for like every word, imprefect and preterite... and in tech drafting (a class i normally ******* hate) i got all my work done 45 minutes before everyone else.. and i got in the car, and i was acctually nice to my mom... and this is the like the first day in a while i havent gotten mad at her after school. Im going to crank out all my homework tonight, and just study like crazy, because i feel like i can do it. Before this, i would have trouble studying, and would end up playing cod, or smoking a cigarette. and i would get pissed off at the **** i had to study, and hate on school.. But oh my god, today was acctualy sort of fun at school.. because i was so focused, and it was amazing what I got done. So my whole question, is how do i bring up to my mom that this happened, and explain what to do about it.. If i tell her i took vyvanse she will get pretty mad i assume (she doesnt know that i smokeD) and i dont know what she will do. Do i have any symptoms of ADD? I used to twitch my legs alot when i was sitting down. So yea do i have ADD symptoms.. and how do i tell my mom that i had the most amazing academic day ever? Do i tell her i took vyvanse, or do i ask her about ADD.. my dads a psycologist, could I ask him. Im affraid there going to think im crazy, or think its a joke.. I am very serious right now. It was amazing what I got done.. and I think this can really turn around my grades, and relationship with my parents. I have all b's a d, and an f right now... so yea. Just if someone could answer those questions.. Like how do i get them to get me diagnosed, what if i dont have ADD.. what should I do.. I think ive stated all my questions. Thanks a ton in advance, looking forward to answers. thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2011
Okay, well I honestly think right now you need to understand one thing before you start. Taking ADD meds when your not perscribed is not only illegal but dangerous and can cause effects similar to speed. Now I am a college student so I have a ton of friends that buy ADD meds off people to do work all the time and they feel more productive, too that doesnt mean you have ADD. Shaking your leg can be a symptom. You need to talk to your parents tell them you dont feel like you can focus (if that is true), and that you want to be tested for ADD if you have to tell them that your friend has it and thinks you do too. Then you will need to go to a neurologist or a psychiatrist, either one. DO NOT TAKE ANY MORE OF YOUR FRIENDS MEDS! Even if you do have it, that might not be the best medicine for you there are a ton of different amounts and brands and some can cause you to get headaches or rapid heart rates or anxiety, you need the right one. ADD meds are nothing to take lightly I have people ask to buy off me all the time but I need it A, and B, you could face jail time for selling or buying and way worse than pot. I've seen people go crazy on it and get dependent. Get diagnosed!!!!! Im not your parent or an adult telling you this, this is someone who is only 3 yrs older than you saying seriously this stuff isnt a joke!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...