Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

implantation bleeding or my period or something else?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I've had unprotected sex since Jan. 7 shortly after my last period Jan. 4. My period was late 9 days until Feb. 4 on which along with bleeding i had bad cramps which usually doesn't happen on the first day. I'm concerned whether or not i may have implantation bleeding or my period or something else. The bleeding is heavy and light sometimes dark with clots. If it is my period does that mean i cant get pregnant?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2012
Am I Pregnant Answer A31289
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you are not on any form of regular birth control measures and have been sexually active after last normal periods, chances of pregnancy are possible. Look out for development of any other new symptoms if pregnancy is suspected. If you suspect chances of pregnancy, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately).
If pregnancy gets ruled out, and if you have been trying for pregnancy and have not been successful, you should consider getting a complete infertility work-up done for you and your partner to see if there are any underlying causes for the infertility/inability to conceive. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help you get pregnant. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Am I Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.