Hi. My daughter was diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum from her derm. I ended up getting "rid" of it in less than a month. A month later she developed it again. Her derm once again said it was MC, I went to her Ped who told me it was impetigo. She was on oral and topical antibiotics. Prb the worse 1.5 wks of our lives! Thankfully the wounds have healed , though discolored the healing was looking good. Within a week, it came back again. Started out with a few and now more have developed. Luckily this time I caught them quicker so they wouldn't become bulbous like the last time. Some have popped and some didn't even blister yet and alrdy dying.
I try my best to disenfect everything she touches. If I see one appear (blister or just red spot) I immediately clean it, peroxide it, topical antibiotic it and lastly bandaid it. Not to mention new change of clothes. Her Ped told me this happens after a crazy outbreak - and there's not much I can do.
In short, how normal is this?im convinced she did NOT get MC and it was impetigo (misdiagnosed). Shall I always be cautious that this will happen more often? I just don't know what to do.
Pls note she has eczema.
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2017
Presentation of lesions in the form of blisters in recurrent waves is usually associated with viral infections (in this case, Molluscum contagiosum virus causes characteristic skin lesions consisting of single or, more often, multiple, rounded, dome-shaped, pink, waxy papules that are 2-5 mm (rarely up to 1.5 cm in the case of a giant molluscus) in diameter. The papules are umbilicated and contain a caseous plug.

The lesions are charecteristic and would be hard to be mistaken for other lesions as you suspect.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.