Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

Im starting to wonder if I'm dyslexic

User Profile
Numbers.
I can't stand them! I'm eighteen and wonder why i haven't been diagnosed with it. The subject never come up. The only thing ever said to me is I need extra help in math.
I can't even count up to ten without taking my time. Saying it aloud is easier but I can't count aloud all my life! lol. I was playing a game with a friend the other days and had to move six places.... I couldn't count it. I kept skipping spaces or numbers. Usually, I don't count I'll see something like two pairs of three and see it as six(does that make sense? For example (LLLLLL) I wouldn't count the Ls I would see pairs and go from there. I failed Alg three times. The fourth time I was one on one with a teacher and we didn't even get nearly as far as I was supposed to.
When I write a sequence of numbers like '1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10' one and two I can read fine....and 9 and 10 fine...But the middle numbers look jumbled and hard to place.

Could I possibly have dyslexia? please keep in mind, I don't know much about dyslexia other than words and numbers look a mess...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2011
Experienced User
hey-

I can't say for sure since you'd need a diagnosis but I can tell you what I do know.
Dyslexia is described as "an impairment in your brain's ability to translate written images received from your eyes into meaningful language."

There's also Dyscalculia (that also means "mathematics difficulty")and that does involve numbers.
"Students with dyscalculia have a very difficult time visualizing numbers and often mentally mix up the numbers, resulting in what appear to be "stupid mistakes." but aren't.

Have you brought this up with your teacher or parents? I can imagine how frustrating it must be...
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply