I am 15 years of age and have recently had mock examinations in preparation for my gcse's. I was ill while these took place. I had some sort of cold/flu. I had a temperature, chesty cough, sore throat, headache, swollen glands and lost my voice. I have asthma and take asthma pumps for this. I was taking ibuprofen to stem the pain. I stayed in school for the whole week as i wanted to complete the tests despite them trying to send me home. I am now better, i still feel ill but now i have recently found a 'ulcer' or what i think is an ulcer on the side of my mouth and i have also found a red lump on the right hand side of the roof of my mouth, its painful to touch and i've read many polls and they just scare me more! I have braces but i've had them for a while now and this has never happened! My Mum thinks its because i'm rundown but i'm worried. I don't have the best diet, i will eat somedays and not the next. I have also come on my period twice in 2 weeks, it is really heavy and i'm scared as to whats wrong. When i do come on my period, i have terrible stomach pains and have recently been really angry and aggressive. I think this may be because i'm so stressed. My school expect alot from me and i like to strive and work really hard. Is this damaging my health? Please help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The bumps are probably just canker sores. Sometimes you can get them from minor injuries to your mouth, like from biting your lip/cheek, from braces, or from dental exams. You can also get them from stress, food sensitivities, hormonal shifts during menstruation, not getting enough vitamin B-12, zinc, folate (folic acid) or iron, and a bunch of other causes. Canker sores are not contagious and are not the same as herpes (which occur on and around the lips--outside the mouth). If they don't go away in a week or two, you should go to the doctor and have it looked at. In the mean time, they have gels and creams you can over-the-counter that can help the pain. You'll usually find them near the floss or lip balm in the drugstore.

As for your period, many young women experience irregular periods and stress can definitely make things worse. I think it would be a good idea to go to your doctor and talk to her about it. Since your periods are so heavy and you have so much pain, it might be a good idea to ask your mom if you can talk to your doctor about going on the pill. Just make it clear to your mom that you don't want it to have sex, but because your period symptoms are interfering with your life. You should also ask your doctor to be tested for anemia because of the heavy bleeding. That could be contributing to your run-down feeling.

I also want to say that it's not good for you to be this stressed-out. Aside from the health aspects, you are spending these wonderful years of your life stressed-out. I know that school is really important and everyone expects a lot of you, especially yourself, but you need to take a time out once in a while and have some fun. You need to find ways to relieve your stress in a healthy way. Find something you really like to do that takes your mind off of things, like exercise (running, a sport, yoga, cycling, etc.), cooking, writing, reading, painting, whatever is fun to you. Find something healthy and safe so you won't be tempted to use alcohol or drugs to relieve your stress when they become more available in college. That is not a road you want to go down.

Remember that things aren't going to get easier, but you can start looking at them differently. College is going to be hard and stressful, also. Work after that will be, too. But you still have to live your life. You can't let your job (whether it be work or school) be your whole life. I want you to look back on high school and college and think "I did really well and I also had a lot of fun and met some great people, too."
|
Users who thank MyrahU for this post: ShelbyLauren 

replied December 16th, 2009
Thankss.. I have a great time at school just felt so ill lately. thanks..
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....