Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I am 25 years old and I've had M.S for ten years, and have had 3 real episodes. I have been on avonex (interferon) for 6 years. I have taken ectasy, MDMA, speed and cocaine socially although mainly MDMA and ectasy. I would like to know am have i done unquantifiable damage?
I am interested in tryin LSD some day, is that a definite mistake or are the risks just the same as any other brain stimulating drug?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Violet0385
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Ectasy, MDMA, LSD, Speed, Cocaine & M.S
jeffstillthinks wrote:
I am 25 years old and I've had M.S for ten years, and have had 3 real episodes.


Are you sure?

jeffstillthinks wrote:
I have been on avonex (interferon) for 6 years.


How's it working for you?

jeffstillthinks wrote:
I have taken ectasy, MDMA, speed and cocaine socially although mainly MDMA and ectasy.


You might as well playing Russian Roulette or dart out in traffic blind folded....

jeffstillthinks wrote:
I would like to know am have i done unquantifiable damage?


More than likely, YES!

jeffstillthinks wrote:
I am interested in tryin LSD some day, is that a definite mistake or are the risks just the same as any other brain stimulating drug?


Huge mistake...

Let me ask you this: What do you get out of taking these drugs? You say
jeffstillthinks wrote:
...are the risks just the same as any other brain stimulating drug?
Honestly, I will answer it this way...IF you have to ask this question then your previous drug use has definately done something to that noggin' of yours (and it is NOT MS related)...

Were you using drugs before your MS dx?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 9th, 2009
Yes i'm sure about the episodes.. what exactly do you mean?

Avonex is ok, although i feel like my lust for life i had before i started has been somewhat dulled.. But I haven't been sick

Is this analogy of russian roulette just snap "common sense" answer or does it have real medical credit?
I am lookin for facts, not judgment, thanks.
I appreciate views but i dont need to be given info without a medical basis.

What do I get out of takin these drugs...?
have you ever taken drugs of any kind...?

I get fun, where i forget about illness, risk, a high that transends ego and beleif in ones self.

I am not a drug freak who spends his days pinning for his next hit or someone who doesnt have a tangable grip on my life. I am just someone who enjoys life and enjoys seeing what an altered state can take one.

And no i first tried drugs 6 years after my diagnoses, and I was never sick since the time I first tried. I 'm not trying to make a connection, its just fact.
sorry for spelling.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 27th, 2012
reply relating to illegal drugs
I am so impressed by how brave you are admitting this, I love doing all these drugs and started taking ecstasy when I was 14. I was diagnosed last week with ms and am secretly scared doing these drugs regularly for so long have brought the ms on. Im 28 and drugs are still really fun altho i hardly ever do it now and havent since my diagnosis. Please no judgemental comments.if you had the upbringing i did i can guarantee you would have tried it and learned how much fun it is too!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2009
Community Volunteer
jeffstillthinks wrote:
Yes i'm sure about the episodes.. what exactly do you mean?


As long as you know they were true episodes / flares. I've meet some MSers who swore they had hundreds of episodes less than a year and that is just not true. Of course your would know a true episode after 10 years Smile

jeffstillthinks wrote:
Avonex is ok, although i feel like my lust for life i had before i started has been somewhat dulled.. But I haven't been sick


Avonex can do that. Have you considered switching to another drug, like Copaxone?

jeffstillthinks wrote:
Is this analogy of russian roulette just snap "common sense" answer or does it have real medical credit?
I am lookin for facts, not judgment, thanks.
I appreciate views but i dont need to be given info without a medical basis.


Actually both.

jeffstillthinks wrote:
What do I get out of takin these drugs...?
have you ever taken drugs of any kind...?

I get fun, where i forget about illness, risk, a high that transends ego and beleif in ones self.


One can have fun without drugs and yes the drugfree route can make you forget about an illness for a time, however long that would be.

How bad is your MS? Relapsing, Primary or Secondary?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 10th, 2009
I think its the less severe form to be honest, I had two episodes zithin six months of each first then another bout 5 years after.
I cant really recall exact dates, so whichever one sounds like it i'm that one..
Copaxone??
never heard of it.
It si strange (avonex), some days i do literally wake up dancing and other days i just wish i could skip the day. I'm moody alot and well not good compamy other times.

I know one can have fun without drugs, my question is not a debate about the neccesity of drugs to a happy life even though its becoming that..
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 26th, 2012
taking LSD
I take copaxone age 59 have had ms for 25 years I just started smoking marijuana a few months ago and the relief is amazing. I really think interferon is risky and leaves you open to infection. Was a nurse for 28 years. Fact LSD alters your genetic makeup I took care of a baby born to mom and dad who took LSD on a frequent basis and the baby was an (medical term)
anencephalic monster. It was born with only three parts of its brain and lived for one day like that.A little drug play with ms I can understand, but DON"T do the LSD. There is a legal mind altering substance that both my kids tried in college. (salvia)My son is very conservative so I was surprised. He did it 3 times and had a very bad third trip. My daughter was okay but she said it is not a recreational drug. Good luck to you and ENJOY every day to the fullest.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 26th, 2012
taking LSD
I take copaxone age 59 have had ms for 25 years I just started smoking marijuana a few months ago and the relief is amazing. I really think interferon is risky and leaves you open to infection. Was a nurse for 28 years. Fact LSD alters your genetic makeup I took care of a baby born to mom and dad who took LSD on a frequent basis and the baby was an (medical term)
anencephalic monster. It was born with only three parts of its brain and lived for one day like that.A little drug play with ms I can understand, but DON"T do the LSD. There is a legal mind altering substance that both my kids tried in college. (salvia)My son is very conservative so I was surprised. He did it 3 times and had a very bad third trip. My daughter was okay but she said it is not a recreational drug. Good luck to you and ENJOY every day to the fullest.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Copaxone is a daily subcutaneous injection and there is no side effects of depression, flu like symptoms.

My concern with illegal drugs...if you get caught; there could be a fine and jail time and a person with MS would not fare to well in that situation.

Some prescriptions can give you a high...been there done that.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 12th, 2009
ok zigemyster

I was looking for Medical facts and professional opinion from a neurologist and/or doctor specializing in M.S.

"My concern with illegal drugs...if you get caught; there could be a fine and jail time and a person with MS would not fare to well in that situation."

That precisely is not the view I am looking for. If I wanted moral opinion I would talk to my family or a priest or whoever was eligible. "Jail time??" that is ridiculous, I am not a drug baron with weekly shipments from morocco!
Please keep these unfounded half truths and opinions of morality for someone who wants either.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 19th, 2012
One medical fact I can offer up and that is medical mary J I am not dx'ed yet but the records keep showing me possible ms so here is my opinion. Medical mary j has been used for years for ms and does it work ? If i in fact have ms i have to say hell yes it works. When Im down I smoke it and it pulls me right out of that numb funk Im in. I have at least a central nervous system disorder and it helps whateevr is going on. I can not give you medical research outside of what California has been stating for years.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2009
Community Volunteer
jeffstillthinks wrote:
ok zigemyster

I was looking for Medical facts and professional opinion from a neurologist and/or doctor specializing in M.S.


If you want medical advice then I suggest you repost your question under "Ask a Doctor".

jeffstillthinks wrote:
"My concern with illegal drugs...if you get caught; there could be a fine and jail time and a person with MS would not fare to well in that situation."

That precisely is not the view I am looking for. If I wanted moral opinion I would talk to my family or a priest or whoever was eligible. "Jail time??" that is ridiculous, I am not a drug baron with weekly shipments from morocco!
Please keep these unfounded half truths and opinions of morality for someone who wants either.


It is quite apparent that you don't want to face the truth about drugs, whether it be legal or not. Your initial question was about the use of certain drugs (all illegal) + MS.

MS is an unpredictable Disease of the Central Nervous System so by consuming drugs that do nothing to benefit MS then yes you are harming yourself.

It only takes 1 time to get busted and that in itself may land you in jail or at least a fine. It is far from ridiculous and it does not matter if it is a one time, once in a while or a daily adventure...it is what it is.

Why not ask your own neurologist about the effects of those drugs...just one pill may kill you or make your MS worse.

Your life, your issue, take care of yourself as you see fit.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 12th, 2009
ms and illegal drug use
i really appreciate your having the guts to ask these questions. I was just diagnosed today with MS and have quite the extensive history of past drug use myself. Some of the questions I have have been answered through reading your post and there subsequent responses. I am still wondering, however, if any of my past usage could be a contributing factor to my developing the disease? I know that there is no known cause but is there any link at all? In the past I have used cocaine, crystal meth, and ecstacy among others (pretty heavily for a 3 years period) I have only seen my neurologist twice and am not yet comfortable talking with him about this. Is this something I should talk to him about?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 22nd, 2012
my name is tim and i also have lived a life of indulging in the dark pleasures of life.before and during dx. of ms these are questions i have had myself and i've been searching to find answers .one way is threw support sharing info with others experiences .i am now sober and i have 35yrs. of experiences to share i like hearing others as well. i have just started a face book page called ms patients dealing with addiction. check it out.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied October 4th, 2009
Jeff still thinks will soon be jeff cannot think with his brain anymore or are you currently thinking with your a*s? dont answer this it will just frustrate you more and what little of jeff thinks will continue to be less and less and less ect. from gregg does think
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 4th, 2009
be honest with all you have taken. take the responsibility for your actions. your hesitation means you are pretty sure you donot want to quit drugs. and you know they may have and will continue to limit your recovery/treatment. knowing so makes you responsible for your future. and being aware means you need to change something
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 7th, 2009
Re: ms and illegal drug use
jwhite79 wrote:
i really appreciate your having the guts to ask these questions. I was just diagnosed today with MS and have quite the extensive history of past drug use myself. I am still wondering, however, if any of my past usage could be a contributing factor to my developing the disease? I know that there is no known cause but is there any link at all? In the past I have used cocaine, crystal meth, and ecstacy among others (pretty heavily for a 3 years period)


Hey, in response to your questions.. I am not diagnosed as of yet but my symptoms are long and extensive and the majority of them started during and after my use of meth,cocaine,ecstasy,and crack (yes crack) I only used for a short time of around 7 or 8 months but it was enough to do damage.. I was in the hospital with a bad kidney infection, had MRSA, and low potassium levels which caused muscle spasms and cramps all during use and then since I stopped using I have had kidney cancer and I am laid up in bed now to the point I only leave to go to doctor appts because I am too weak and in too much pain and the fatigue causes me to practically fall asleep driving.. I don't know for a fact that the drugs caused my problems because my family has a long history of disease and illness and I have had other problems to a lesser extent for years before using but it probably sped up and/or worsened the problems if not the cause.. and as for telling your doctor, that is a touchy thing because after telling my doctor about my drug use he has treated me like a junky ever since and he is very guarded in what he gives me for treatment and it has taken a very long time for him to build up trust and a relationship with me so it's your call..
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 11th, 2009
I did some drugs (weed, hash, coke) before I was diagnosed at the age of 16.
I am now on Avonex, and whenever I have attempted to smoke weed again (or hash) I get extremely ill, and feel as though I am on hard-drugs, and "trip-out".
I'm not intirely sure why, but perhaps it is because my immune system is being lowered by the shot, and therefore can not fight the weed properly, so I get too high?
Either way, it scared me away from doing drugs anymore, even though I still drink quite a bit.....
Any feed back would be nice.
Laura
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2009
LauzB, please don't drink hunni it can actually make you worse in the long run and drugs do contribute to someone having or contracting MS and also seem to affect someone physically and mentally with MS, depending on the severity of MS and the medication been taken. Not in all cases of course but everyone I know who has been diagnosed with MS, has a past (usually illegal) drug history including one or more of; HEROIN, COCAINE, +CRYSTAL METH, SPEED or AMPHETAMINES, CRACK COCAINE, ECSTASY and MARIJUANA just to name a few... but that doesn't mean that using or abusing prescription drugs are going to harm your body any less. Weed can have quite an effect on your brain which has been shown time and time again with Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia and psychosis (amongst others mental illnesses) being caused or brought on by many of the the drugs used by some people today, if you are not well already... your immune system is lowered and it's more than likely the Avonex is clashing with the weed or hash and therefor producing a much more potent result than you may otherwise have if you were 100% well and not on any medications so be a little more careful hun if you do smoke weed ever again, or best of all, just stay away from it;) Take care and HTH a little. x
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 22nd, 2010
meth use and MS
I have not been diagnosed yet, because my doctor didn't feel that I had enough physical problems yet. I have been told that Ms can stem from the Epstein Barr Virus, also known as mono. I had that at age 28, I am now 51 and experiencing mild MS symtoms. I have been a meth user since age 24. Here is my concern. MS is defined as being derived from an overactive immune system. What does meth do? It causes a lowered immune response. I am wondering if the meth usage has slowed the MS disease?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 27th, 2011
Wow. There have been a lot of knee-jerk judgments here. For shame, people! First of all, ask any honest MS researcher about virtually anything related to the etiology of MS, and they’ll hedge and haw and bit. Finally, they’ll sigh and say, “We don’t really know.” Is it caused by a virus? Is it purely autoimmune? Does it have to do with altitude or climate? Is there a genetic component? There may be some truth in all of these, but the bottom line is that no one knows for sure.

Sure, there are many people with MS who have a history of drug use. But I personally know lots of people with MS who have NEVER touched an illegal substance. Furthermore, I know **tons** of people who have done every drug under the sun and have never developed MS. In the case of marijuana, there is some very compelling evidence that THC has neuroprotective properties and actually benefits MS patients. This may be due to the fact that cannabinoids inhibit glutamate‐induced excitotoxicity, but other mechanisms may be involved.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/12 6/10/2191.full

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produ kte.asp?doi=10.1159/000112901

http://www.neurology.org/content/65/6/812. abstract

http://msj.sagepub.com/content/10/4/434.ab stract

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v404/ n6773/abs/404084a0.html

By the way, these articles appeared in peer-reviewed scientific journals. They did not appear in “High Times Magazine” or “Stoner Quarterly.”

As for the other illegal drugs, I think it has to be a personal choice. As a neuropharmacology researcher, I can assert that the dangers of using an illegal drug with a well understood mechanism of action are not as great as using an experimental drug whose long term effects have not been documented. Having said that, the obvious danger of street drugs is the fact that you don’t really know what you’re getting.

But let’s talk about RELIEF. I too have MS, and I can tell you from personal experiences that there are times when you feel like you’re at death’s door. There are also times when you just can’t function. That’s frustrating enough if you’re on disability, living with excellent caretakers, and free of responsibility. But what about those who have children? What about those who have demanding jobs and refuse to let MS take that away from them? What about those of us who are graduate students? Many of the FDA-approved medications available for treating the debilitating symptoms of MS come with dangerous side effects… sometimes far more dangerous than the side effects of illegal drugs. Furthermore, they can be expensive, especially if your insurance won’t cover them. On top of that, they don’t work for everyone. It’s a constant game of trial and error.

MDMA (“X”) upregulates the biogenic amines, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. According to the Kety-Schildkraut hypothesis, low levels of these transmitters lead to depression, while high levels lead to a positive affect. (“Affect” refers to mood. No, I am not misusing the noun, “effect.”) What is one of the most common symptoms of MS? Depression!!! Yes, it’s true that prolonged use of “X” can deplete these transmitters and lead to long-term depression. But occasional recreational use should not do this.

And what about the single most common symptom of MS? Fatigue. You know where I’m going with this, right? Yep – cocaine. Cocaine works by blocking the reuptake of dopamine (the “happy” transmitter) and norepinephrine (the “hyper” transmitter). You know what else works in the exact same way? Methylphenidate. RITALIN. Adderall has a similar mechanism of action and both of these drugs carry the same risky side effects as cocaine. Both of these drugs are also regularly prescribed to treat MS-related fatigue. A safer alternative for combatting fatigue is a drug called modafinil. However, many doctors refuse to prescribe it because it is an “off-label” drug and insurance companies won’t cover it. To be clear, I’m not advocating the use of cocaine or MDMA (although I emphatically advocate the use of marijuana or THC derivatives), but I’m saying that I don’t fault MS sufferers for turning to these drugs during a time of need.

LSD dramatically increases serotonin levels throughout the central nervous system. Serotonin is typically an inhibitory transmitter and is largely responsible for sleep. It is possible that the hallucinations associated with LSD are the result of a dual state of sleep and waking, and you are actually experiencing your dreams while awake. I don’t know much else about LSD, but I know that any and every drug acts at the synapse, while MS attacks the myelinated axon. While LSD can have some lasting and arguably unpleasant effects (anxiety, hallucinations, etc.), I can’t imagine that it would directly affect MS. Then again, there is some evidence that LSD never clears from your brain (hence, flashbacks), which makes me shy away from it regardless of having MS.

I have to address the claim of weed being linked to Schizophrenia. For those who are genetically predisposed to Schizo, there is a critical period between the ages of ~ 16 – 24 where THC is linked to the onset of the disease. Before and after this period, there is no correlation. If you are not genetically predisposed, smoking pot will not “give” you Schizophrenia. And I hardly think it’s shocking that those suffering from depression or bipolar disorder are more inclined to self medicate.

I know I’m not a neurologist, but I am a neuropharmacology and cognitive neuroscience researcher. Haters, demonize me all you want. And if you can come back with some legitimate science to back up your arguments, I welcome the debate. There is absolutely no definitive evidence that drug use “causes” MS. And there is no definitive evidence that using illegal drugs can exacerbate MS. I don’t think it’s a good idea for anyone to regularly use illegal drugs (except of course, marijuana… and only if you have a condition for which its efficacy has been scientifically demonstrated). But, come on! MS SUCKS. If you can get a few hours of relief from this living hell now and again, I certainly won’t judge you. I think the scientific community needs to broaden their minds and think outside the box where MS treatments are concerned.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Violet0385 for this post: Melf 

replied September 21st, 2011
MS and Cocaine
I've had MS and pain for a long time, but only dxd in 08. Have also used all kinds of legal and illegal drugs thru the years. I know that now when I do cocaine in reasonable doses, like medicine, I don't get high anymore like in the old days. What I do get is major pain relief, energy - I can get a lot done compared to same days when I hurt but don't do cocaine. Indians in South America have used cocaine for centuries as medicine. Why do hospitals have high grade cocaine in their pharmacy? There are medical uses for cocaine, and I truly believe it can help MS patients greatly as long as it is used as a med in doses spaced throughout the day. It's my life, my pain racked body, my myelin damaged brain (lesions on MRI way before a lot of the drugs were tried), my extremely fatigued body that needs to find a way to live, not just exist. This needs medical studies and I volunteer to use cocaine, not the placebo!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 22nd, 2012
in response to brandname WOW! my experience in this matter is i also told myself that there was reasons to use coke.it gave me energy it numbed my pain it allowed me to be able to keep working (i had my own flooring buisness).all and my reasonable doses lmao.after 25 years of use of any mood altering drug (if you will).my reasonable doses extreamly unreasonable . i am starting a new page on facebook called ms patients dealing with addiction check it out a good place to share and get info from the ones who has been there.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 7th, 2014
Try Ayahuasca, take control, believe. I have history with MDMA, coke, cannabis, speed, shrooms, MANDY & peyote. MS for twelve years, off work following relapse so halfway through changing careers. Whatever drug you take, it will change the moment, poss. limit mobility and increase bladder urgency but in a couple of days, as per the norm, back to base but well lethargic for those two days.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
12