Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

If someone passes their stone do we know?

User Profile
Is it possible i could have passed my gallstone in the last attack.

last week i had a very very severe attack at late night due to overeating that day which took me to ER for the very first time as no pain killer was giving relief. i never had such painful attack before having some burning feeling too along with attack.

is it really possible i could have passed my stone. how do we know if someone passes their stone? like.. you dont get sick after eating fatty meals anymore or problem gets better instantly, etc...

thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2011
Gallbladder Disease Answer A18600
Hi,
Many thanks for posting on ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. It is very rare for gall stones to pass. However sometimes, they can pass from the gallbladder and into the common bile duct. f they get stuck in the duct for a prolonged period, they can obstruct the flow of bile through the ducts. This may lead to jaundice, infection in the bile (cholecystitis, cholangitis), or pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

You need an urgent ultrasound and HIDA scan of the gall bladder to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.