Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

if I had herpes Wouldn't they have seen that when screening?

User Profile
So I gave birth two months ago.. It was normal vaginal birth. I'm not sure exactly how many stitches I got I just know it was A LOT. After almost 8 weeks prenatal, my vagina was still sore and it was painful to have sex. But it also even hurts to do squats or even getting out of my bed. But when I do those activities, it's a different kind of pain, more like a muscle soreness. So I went to the GYN and she told me that she sees and ulcer, and says it Could be herpes. Of course that would be a possibility cuz I have had unprotected sex. But I've never had signs of herpes ever and what I don't get is if I had herpes.. Wouldn't they have seen that when they screened me for STDs when I was pregnant?? And I've been with the same guy for over a year now ( the father of my baby) so why would I start having symptoms now?? It never hurt priar to giving birth. I'm just so confused and now I have to wait two weeks to find out the results.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2016
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A57052
Hello,
The fact is clear now that you have a herpes. That is the cause of pain as well as soreness and so,do not drag those stitches or episiotomy techniques after 8 months as a cause of pain.

I must tell you that up to one in three women infected with genital herpes -- called Herpes Simplex Virus 2 (HSV-2) and about 90 percent of women with herpes don't know it -- they either do not have symptoms, such as genital lesions (slit-like sores), or don't recognize them.
Now as you are having it ,probably, you were infected long back and the infection was dormant.

Regarding screening in pregnancy,I could not comment whether you were tested or not for HSV as it is not a routine testing in pregnancy.
Lastly,please do not ask me to comment from where this was acquired, if the test will show a positive result. This is an STD and it is only you who can tell from where you have acquired it.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Pregnancy, Ulcer
Quick Reply
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.