Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

if a mother passes Herpes Simplex to her children...

Hi all id like to know if a mother passes on Herpes Simplex to her children,would the symptoms for the child be the same as in an adult(warts around genitals/mouth etc)??I found out i had HS in Feb 2005 and was given antibiotics...have had a few flair ups since but recently 3 out of 4 of my children(all born AFTER the disgnosis)have developed warts on lots of areas on their bodies(doc gave me occlusal liquid)and its only just dawned on me that these warts could indeed be HS that ive passed on to my precious children during my pregnancies...i really hope this isnt the case...i will make an appointment with the doctor to discuss this:)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2013
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If the mother has Genital herpes and has breakout during the time of labor and delivery, the children can get infection transmission while passing through the birth canal (in rare cases it can also get transmitted through placenta). The risk of transmission is high if you get primary infection during late pregnancy. Herpes infection may also spread throughout the body (disseminated Herpes). If worried, you may consider discussing with your doctor/healthcare provider, or get your children tested to confirm/rule out Herpes infection.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.