Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Idiopathic postprandial syndrome?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Ok Everybody, so it finally happened. After 2 years of being free of any major Panic Attacks, I started feeling lightheaded and panicked. I left work after a couple of hours and went to the hospital because something wasn't right. It didnt feel like the PA that I had experienced before Throughout the day I've been having mild lightheaded and weak spells, hunger and shakiness. All this led to believe that I could be suffering from Hypoglycemia. around 6:30 last night I bought a blood glucose meter and tested my blood sugar (this was 4 hours after my last meal) and it came up 96 which is normal, then I had a coke and started to feel better and tested it again which came up at 149. but something was not totally right so I called my brother and ask him to drive me to the hospital, along the way I tested my Blood sugar again and was 91.
Still I was feeling, weak, hunger, shaking uncontrollable. after the doctors performed various blood tests they said that their nothing wrong with my blood and the anxiety can do this type of thing.
Feeling relive I came home and went to sleep.
This afternoon I was checking up on Anxiety and I came across this: Idiopathic postprandial syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_po stprandial_syndrome

Basically its a type of syndrome where people are experiencing Hypoglycemic symptoms w/o actually having Hypoglycemia, is states that the effect those with anxiety issues, such as us. Needless to say that this sounds exactly what I was going through

I cant seem to find any other good information on it. Had anyone else experienced this. If you do is some that will decline after your anxiety gets under control or is it something I have to deal with now in the long term? Also can it be fatal like Hypoglycemia?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 1st, 2008
Same with me
I, too, have had symptoms that seem to be hypoglycemia, yet I have never seen after a test my BSL to be below 85. Never. So evidence suggests that I do not have hypo. However if my diet is not correct I have anxiety attacks and other associated symptoms.

But I read somewhere that the sugar level does not necessarily need to be low, per se, but that if it DROPS too fast it is also a problem. Say from 155 down to 90 in less than an hour. This would be called a DROP RATE problem instead of a low problem. And it produces the same symptoms as LOW BSL --Hypoglycemic type problems.

Anyway, I believe I have found what my main problem is, and it was excessive caffeine intake. I have just this past week lowered my coffee drinking substantually and it has helped alot. --I guess because caffeine drives BSL low at a fast rate.
|

replied March 1st, 2008
Experienced User
What you describe is exactly what happened to me. My anxiety was so bad that it caused me to think I was having 'hypo' episodes. I did change my diet and did Stan's diet for a while. Hell coming off of carbs. Soon after, I found out I had Candida so I have been trying to get a handle on that. It took me awhile but I finally got my anxiety/panic somewhat under control . My hypo symptoms are gone now. I was really bad too. But I think the combination of a healthy diet and getting the anxiety under control is what helped me.

I tried everything too for the anxiety - apart from medication - counselor, meditation, breathing, books, herbs etc. You name it - I tried it. It was not until I read the book that I really understood what was happening to me. Almost immediately I got relief.
|

replied April 11th, 2009
foxforce5, you say you had candida, how did you find this out? And what approach have you taken to treating it?

Cheers Smile
|

replied May 31st, 2010
Help! Hunger and panic
I have also been having a painful experience with anxiety, panic attacks and hunger. Out of the blue, I will get hungry, even if I just ate, and I will have a panic attack. I get weird feeling in my face, like tension in my nose and upper lip. I feel extreme hunger and cannot concentrate. The feeling is sooo unbearably uncomfortable. I got on Effexor XR over a year ago. At first it helped and I felt a lot better. After being on it for about a year, however, I started having unexplained extreme hunger pains continuously. I have almost completely (gradually) weened off of 225 mg/ day. I only have a couple of days left of taking 37.5 mg. Today, however, I had a major panic attack at work, and it frightened me. I thought those days were over. I had felt so much better day by day getting off of the medication. Now, all of the sudden, it feels like I am having a problem again, and I don't know what to do. I can't keep living like this.
|

replied November 6th, 2010
I have expierienced panic attacks for almost 15 years following post traumatic stress. I have been able to identify two distinct types of panic attacks. One type is purely physical(racing pulse lightheaded numbness in arms)and responds well to sedatives(xanax valium alcohol)or vigorous excercise and ocurrs at any random time including waking me from sleep.I can usually relax and "talk myself down"from these.Another type most often occurs 1-4 hours after eating and seems to be postprandial syndrome. For me it includes physical symptoms (nausea bloating shaking lightheaded bounding pulse)and mental ones(urge to "run away" extreme anxiety). These don't respond to anything. They're terrible and make wish I would die. My only defense is prevention which I do by diet, exercise and trying to cut back on stress (I'm a firefighter maybe not the best carrer choice).Despite my best efforts I still have this from time to time. Hope this info is useful. PS I have taken effexor xr with good results on panic attacks and ips but don't like it because it takes away my "competative edge".
|

replied October 29th, 2011
The "panic attack" after eating can actually be diabetes/ insulin-resistance. I had them for the past three years and they were worst in the morning after breakfast. I purchased a glucose meter and confirmed my suspicion. Glucose was 100 - 130 when at 6:30am. After eating my BG went upto 170 after an hour and then back to 100 in less than 30 minutes. When my BG decreases this fast, this is when I had the heart palpitations, my blood pressure increased 140/95 and my abdomen hurt all day. I felt bloated and nauseated all day. I went to the endocrinologist and did the 5 hour glucose tolerance test. I was put on Glucophage (Metformin) and my symptoms have almost disappeared (this is my 5 day on the medication). It makes your body use your own insulin more efficiently (insulin sensitizer).
|

replied October 29th, 2011
The "panic attack" after eating can actually be diabetes/ insulin-resistance. I had them for the past three years and they were worst in the morning after breakfast. I purchased a glucose meter and confirmed my suspicion. Glucose was 100 - 130 when at 6:30am. After eating my BG went upto 170 after an hour and then back to 100 in less than 30 minutes. When my BG decreases this fast, this is when I had the heart palpitations, my blood pressure increased 140/95 and my abdomen hurt all day. I felt bloated and nauseated all day. I went to the endocrinologist and did the 5 hour glucose tolerance test. I was put on Glucophage (Metformin) and my symptoms have almost disappeared (this is my 5 day on the medication). It makes your body use your own insulin more efficiently (insulin sensitizer).
|
Quick Reply