Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

ibuprofen for congestion ?

When my chest is really congested if I take ibuprofen , I feel better . Does anyone else have the same reaction ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper madencanada
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory drug, that works by stopping the body's production of substances that cause pain, fever and inflammation.
When the lining membrane of airways are inflamed we get the feeling of congestion.

Do you take combination of ibuprofen with some other substance or only ibuprofen?
Which symptoms of chest congestion you find mostly relieved by ibuprofen?
|

replied May 6th, 2008
I take Ibuprofen ,along with many asthma meds. I do find that it helps not only sinus issues , but also with chest congestion... I do breath easier. I was asking this question because Dr's seem surprised, being " Asthmatic " that this med doesn't make me feel worse .
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Ibuprofen can trigger an asthmatic attack, especially, if you already had one caused by taking other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Precipitation of asthmatic attacks by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is mediated through inhibition of prostaglandin biosynthesis. The degree of that inhibition, which leads to bronchoconstriction, is an individual hallmark.
Anyway, be careful with using ibuprofen.

Have you experienced asthma attack when using aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
|

replied May 21st, 2008
no i've never experienced any difficulties taking advil , asprin ect I find that some of then help me breath a little better.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
How often do you take ibuprofen?
For how long you are an asthma sufferer?
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Ibuprofen and aspirin help me breathe easier. I found this out when I had a toothache. I have not been diagnosed with asthma. The doctors seem to be unsure.
|

replied January 25th, 2016
I have experienced the same, taking motrin reduces my asthma symptoms, I would like to know if other people have similar experience-information
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....