Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

i wanna stop being bulimic

User Profile
i wanna stop being bulimic ... but how ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Amyacdc
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2012
Once you are full-blown bulimic, it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to stop just based on your own motivation. If nobody knows about your bulimia, then that is the first and foremost step. Anyone who loves you, and/or anyone you trust. Family is preferable. Tell your mom. Tell your best friend. You can't do this alone. Tell them that you have a problem, and that you know you need help. If you really don't want to tell them first, try your doctor. Although your family will know in the end, but sometimes it's easier to reveal it to non-family first. Also, you obviously have already recognized that you have a problem. Many people with eating disorders are in denial that it's even a problem. So brownie-points for you! That's another major first step. Smile Your mind is half the battle. Eating disorders aren't a physical thing at heart, the physical stuff that happens (starving, throwing-up, any other dangerous activities), happens as a result of what starts in your mind. A low self-esteem, pressure to be skinny, playing the comparison-game. Maybe you're not sure of the reason. But, obviously there is one. That's what doctors, and therapists, and those you love, help you to figure out. When telling parents, they may be a little angry at first. It may happen. But the first step is always the hardest, and they will want to help you get better as much as you do. I know you don't want to hurt them, but which would hurt them more: telling them you have an eating disorder (and then fixing the problem together), or them having to mourn your death when your heart stops, due to your eating disorder. ? Think about it.
It's hard, but you already reaching out shows that you have the strength to pull through. I hope you realize in time, that you're a very special person. That no one could ever replace you. That the shape of our body doesn't define who we are.
"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” C.S. Lewis
Good luck! My heart goes out to you!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Amyacdc for this post: blobface 
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....